From: Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Issues regarding glep-55 (Was: [gentoo-council] Re: Preliminary Meeting-Topics for 12 February 2009)
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 16:37:05
1 On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 9:26 PM, Ciaran McCreesh
2 <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > ...and it means we can't change name or version rules.
6 And has such a case come to light recently where it was *essential* to
7 do so? Why solve problems that don't exist?
8
9 > ...and it means over doubling the best possible time to work out a
10 > dependency tree in the common case where the metadata cache is valid.
13 This is a valid cause. Perhaps the only valid cause.
14
15 > ...and it means we can't make arbitrary format changes.
18 What? Why are we over-engineering this? Does anyone seriously want to
19 convert ebuilds to XML? I honestly think anything beyond incremental
20 changes is not relevant for Gentoo
21
22 > Developers already have to stop and think and consult the conveniently
23 > available table of features for EAPIs. By splitting the EAPI concept in
24 > two you're doubling the amount of data to be learnt.
27 That's a documentation problem.
31 ~Nirbheek Chauhan