From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Issues regarding glep-55 (Was: [gentoo-council] Re: Preliminary Meeting-Topics for 12 February 2009)
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 16:47:09
1 On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 21:59:39 +0530
2 Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o> wrote:
3 > On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 9:26 PM, Ciaran McCreesh
4 > <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > ...and it means we can't change name or version rules.
6 >
7 > And has such a case come to light recently where it was *essential* to
8 > do so? Why solve problems that don't exist?
9
10 Because they do exist, which is why name and version rules have been
11 changed the hard way at least twice previously. The version format is
12 still considerably less flexible than what upstreams use, and a lot of
13 the current limitations on its format are purely historical.
14
15 > > ...and it means we can't make arbitrary format changes.
16 >
17 > What? Why are we over-engineering this? Does anyone seriously want to
18 > convert ebuilds to XML? I honestly think anything beyond incremental
19 > changes is not relevant for Gentoo
20
21 You appear to be confusing arbitrary format changes with doing a Zynot.
22 The two are not the same.
23
24 > > Developers already have to stop and think and consult the
25 > > conveniently available table of features for EAPIs. By splitting
26 > > the EAPI concept in two you're doubling the amount of data to be
27 > > learnt.
28 >
29 > That's a documentation problem.
30
31 No, it's a design problem. Good design looks for ways to minimise the
32 amount of unnecessary arbitrary information the user has to remember.
35 Ciaran McCreesh