From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Masterplan for solving LINGUAS problems
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2016 19:52:50
1 On 2 June 2016 at 07:33, Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > I prefer to have at least 5% of the ebuilds working and the other
4 > being fixable (if their maintainers want to spend the effort)
5 > than to remove a concept which breaks also these 5% and turns
6 > all ebuilds non-fixable, in principle.
7
8 Changing the status-quo to "broken by default and needs 95% of the
9 tree to change to not be broken" is a bad precedent.
10
11 Its better to have 100% of the tree *not* broken by default, and then
12 we progressively whittle the tree into a flexible state.
13
14 ( At least, this is what I've gathered so far )
17 >> I'm not going to continue the discussion if you are so blinded by
18 >> LINGUAS that you are even unable to understand what I'm talking about,
19 >> and consistently mix the LINGUAS concept and INSTALL_MASK concept,
20 >
21 > ...says the man who mixes this wildly in the first posting by
22 > suggesting to recommend the user to not use LINGUAS and use
23 > INSTALL_MASK *instead*; as a reply to my warning to not mix
24 > these completely unrelated concepts.
27 LINGUAS affects compilation due to weird toolchains.
28
29 INSTALL_MASK just nukes files.
32 Kent
33