From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Can we get PIE on all SUID binaries by default, por favor?
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 19:43:10
1 On Thursday 26 January 2012 11:55:54 Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 06:58, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
3 > > pedantically, PIE+ASLR makes it significantly harder to exploit, not
4 > > impossible
5 > >
6 > > if we could get some general performance numbers that show non-PIE vs
7 > > PIE, that'd help make the case for turning PIE on by default regardless
8 > > of set*id.
9 >
10 > For starters, though, what about just pooping a Q&A warning for non-PIE
11 > SUID? That way those packages could be fixed, and we'd have a little trial
12 > to see how PIE behaves across different platforms. If that all goes well,
13 > we bump up to default, but that's a far off discussion.
14
15 a QA warning doesn't help anyone if we don't have documentation in place
16 explaining to people how to do this cleanly
17 -mike