From: "Jason A. Donenfeld" <Jason@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Can we get PIE on all SUID binaries by default, por favor?
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 16:57:11
1 On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 06:58, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > pedantically, PIE+ASLR makes it significantly harder to exploit, not
4 > impossible
5 >
6 > if we could get some general performance numbers that show non-PIE vs PIE,
7 > that'd help make the case for turning PIE on by default regardless of
8 > set*id.
11 For starters, though, what about just pooping a Q&A warning for non-PIE
12 SUID? That way those packages could be fixed, and we'd have a little trial
13 to see how PIE behaves across different platforms. If that all goes well,
14 we bump up to default, but that's a far off discussion.
18 > -mike