From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 22: New "keyword" system to incorporate various userlands/kernels/archs
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 05:48:11
1 On 03/17/04 Olivier CrĂȘte wrote:
2
3 > This said, how much effort are we ready to put into satisfying what
4 > will probably be a very very small number of users. I have the feeling
5 > that almost all non-linux uses are purely academic (proving it can be
6 > done). There is very little demand or use for gentoo outside the Linux
7 > world(maybe except for macosx and that's just one more keyword), and
8 > no proper solution has been proposed. So my conclusion on this is that
9 > for the time being, we should stay with the current keywording system
10 > and maybe add two or three more.
11
12 Independent on how we implement it, this is a long term issue and won't
13 affect normal development for a while (unless we want to use it in
14 parallel with the current KEYWORDS system). First it has to be
15 implemented, then it has to be tested, then propagated and only then
16 it's possible to start using it. And I'd say the propagation phase alone
17 should be 2 or 3 months. And do you really know how the world looks in 6
18 months or a year? Also it's not only about using Gentoo outside of Linux
19 but also portage as a secondary package manager on other operating
20 systems. Who knows, maybe in 2 or 3 years portage is the dominant
21 package management software.
22
23 Marius
28 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
29 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.