From: "Olivier CrĂȘte" <tester@g.o>
To: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 22: New "keyword" system to incorporate various userlands/kernels/archs
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 00:32:03
1 Hi,
2
3 One thing that I find missing from this discussion is the actual meaning
4 of the keywords. Currently, when a package is marked stable, it means
5 that not only it compiled on the platform, but that it was also tested
6 by a real human being and that it (most of the time) it has been (we
7 hope) tested by many others without problem. The original GLEP22
8 proposal changes this, since the various "variables" are not truly
9 orthogonal, we end up with many many untested situations.
10
11 If we want to support a very large number of hardware/software
12 combinations we have to either decide that we want to keep the same
13 level of QA and then test on every possibility and mark each one or
14 decide to change the level of QA and go for a debianization (if it
15 compiles, its ok) or an even looser system. For all its deficiencies,
16 rac's proposal seems like the only sane way to do this. And it would
17 allow for for much more diversified QA information, so we could record
18 different information from the results of a tinderbox to the number of
19 users using it. But this is very heavy to do. As a short term solution,
20 we could instead go with "multi-part" keywords (stuff like
21 x86:linux:gnu:glibc or i386-pc-linux-gnu (why not use standardised that
22 if we do that?)). Those keywords can always be later used to fill a
23 database.
24
25 This said, how much effort are we ready to put into satisfying what will
26 probably be a very very small number of users. I have the feeling that
27 almost all non-linux uses are purely academic (proving it can be done).
28 There is very little demand or use for gentoo outside the Linux world
29 (maybe except for macosx and that's just one more keyword), and no
30 proper solution has been proposed. So my conclusion on this is that for
31 the time being, we should stay with the current keywording system and
32 maybe add two or three more.
33
34 Olivier
35 tester@g.o