From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 22: New "keyword" system to incorporate various userlands/kernels/archs
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 23:12:32
1 Okay, here's a consolidation of the various comments about GLEP 22.
2
3 The first comment, by Method, pointed out the most significant flaw in
4 my proposal: the ARCH, LIBC, KERNEL, and USERLAND variables are not
5 orthogonal (to use rac's term), so if ARCH lists x86 and ppc while
6 KERNEL lists linux and obsd, how to we address the fact that obsd/ppc is
7 not, in fact, a valid combination?
8
9 I'm going to ignore a large thread of messages that discuss how
10 sensitive alternative arch's are to requiring package patches to compile
11 and/or function properly, other than to note that with the large number
12 of possible ARCH/LIBC/KERNEL/USERLAND permutations even just enumerating
13 the patches might end up being a tad hairy. There was also a thread
14 suggesting that packages should not, in general, be marked stable unless
15 it is supported on all archs (or whatever).
16
17 Drake Wyrm noted that the proposed system allowed people to test new
18 permutations that might just work. That sort of ability is something we
19 should probably strive to maintain in whatever our ultimate solution
20 should turn out to be.
21
22 Rac has suggested a simple, if rather draconian, solution, which is to
23 just let the explosion of keywords to occur, but get them out of the
24 ebuilds. His suggestion is to provide a database (maintained external
25 to the ebuilds, perhaps even external to the users' systems) that uses a
26 five-dimensional (arch/os/libc/kernel/ebuild-version) key to determine
27 whether or not an ebuild should be built.
28
29 I would prefer a somewhat more elegant approach than rac's brute-force
30 database, if I could only think of one. Any other thoughts out there?