From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] unsanctioned python 2.7 crusade
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2019 08:11:19
1 Ühel kenal päeval, N, 05.12.2019 kell 23:23, kirjutas David Seifert:
2 > When we started removing Qt4, tons of code still used it. To put
3 > things
4 > in perspective:
5 >
6 > grep -rl 'IUSE.*python_targets_python2_7' /usr/portage/metadata/md5-
7 > cache/ | wc -l
8 >
9 > gives me 7070 ebuilds currently. 7070 is easily more than one and
10 > closer to two orders of magnitude more ebuilds using python 2 than
11 > Qt4
12 > back in the days.
13
14 You are dramatizing things too much on purpose here. That gives you a
15 list of almost all PYTHON_COMPAT packages, the majority of which
16 support python3 already, and will happily continue working after the
17 user drops python2_7 from PYTHON_TARGETS or it gets dropped from the
18 _PYTHON_ALL_IMPLS list in python-utils-r1.eclass.
19
20 > Removing maintainer-needed and other semi-dead
21 > packages is part of a proactive strategy in continuously removing and
22 > treecleaning stale stuff from the tree.
23
24 That's the problem right here. The mask included packages that are not
25 maintainer-needed, nor maintained by python@ or other projects you or
26 Aaron are active members of. And it was a careless mask, masking even
27 some things that aren't even affected, merely had python2 mentioned in
28 some commented out stuff, afaiu.
29
30 I don't think there would be such a huge outcry if this was done right
31 - involving the actual maintainers of these packages, not just going
32 ahead and package.masking them from under them 150+ days ahead of time
33 of actual upstream python2 last release. Presumably most of these
34 maintainers would already know whether the package is in the progress
35 of being ported upstream (and just needs probably less than 120 days to
36 complete that work and make a release), or know that it's dead and go
37 away. Or they don't respond, and you can p.mask them on a maintainer
38 honoring timeout.
39
40 As this was done is completely unacceptable. Honor your fellow
41 maintainers and don't trample over them like this. We already are in a
42 lack of manpower, don't chase more away by trying to take the easy
43 route and doing stuff like this without involving them via a tracker
44 bug or other proper ways.
45 If you don't maintain a package, you get to work with the maintainer,
46 not do as you please without involving them at all. I am not aware of
47 QA having such blanket authority either for such a case.
50 I don't think anyone can have a valid problem with package.mask of some
51 of the things mentioned (sabnzbd, abcde, etc), because they were indeed
52 maintainer-needed or sound@ (which David is part of, and is known
53 crickets territory) or whatnot. It seems to have found interested
54 maintainers, as is normal with last-rite type of package.masks.
55 But by including things that are actually maintained, without any
56 apparent involvement of those maintainers, you allow for such outcry
57 even for things that shouldn't be a problem, because you display ill
58 intent and dishonoring towards your fellow maintainers.
59
60 Honor your fellow Gentoo maintainers. Period.
63 Mart