From: David Seifert <soap@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] unsanctioned python 2.7 crusade
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2019 10:49:06
1 On Fri, 2019-12-06 at 10:11 +0200, Mart Raudsepp wrote:
2 > Ühel kenal päeval, N, 05.12.2019 kell 23:23, kirjutas David Seifert:
3 > > When we started removing Qt4, tons of code still used it. To put
4 > > things
5 > > in perspective:
6 > >
7 > > grep -rl 'IUSE.*python_targets_python2_7'
8 > > /usr/portage/metadata/md5-
9 > > cache/ | wc -l
10 > >
11 > > gives me 7070 ebuilds currently. 7070 is easily more than one and
12 > > closer to two orders of magnitude more ebuilds using python 2 than
13 > > Qt4
14 > > back in the days.
15 >
16 > You are dramatizing things too much on purpose here. That gives you a
17 > list of almost all PYTHON_COMPAT packages, the majority of which
18 > support python3 already, and will happily continue working after the
19 > user drops python2_7 from PYTHON_TARGETS or it gets dropped from the
20 > _PYTHON_ALL_IMPLS list in python-utils-r1.eclass.
21
22 Dramatizing that a significant portion of those need to be checked? Are
23 you going to be doing that work? Are you going to check that the
24 depgraph is valid? This is unlike py3.6 -> py3.7, where you just
25 disable the impl in python-utils and stuff keeps working. This is going
26 to trigger an avalanche.
29 > > Removing maintainer-needed and other semi-dead
30 > > packages is part of a proactive strategy in continuously removing
31 > > and
32 > > treecleaning stale stuff from the tree.
33 >
34 > That's the problem right here. The mask included packages that are
35 > not
36 > maintainer-needed, nor maintained by python@ or other projects you or
37 > Aaron are active members of. And it was a careless mask, masking even
38 > some things that aren't even affected, merely had python2 mentioned
39 > in
40 > some commented out stuff, afaiu.
41 >
42 > I don't think there would be such a huge outcry if this was done
43 > right
44 > - involving the actual maintainers of these packages, not just going
45 > ahead and package.masking them from under them 150+ days ahead of
46 > time
47 > of actual upstream python2 last release. Presumably most of these
48 > maintainers would already know whether the package is in the progress
49 > of being ported upstream (and just needs probably less than 120 days
51 > complete that work and make a release), or know that it's dead and go
52 > away. Or they don't respond, and you can p.mask them on a maintainer
53 > honoring timeout.
54
55 All the examples people name (abcde, eyeD3) are either maintained by
56 sound, for which I gave Aaron an explicit sign-off, or they're m-n.
57 This really boils down to what Rich called "somebody should maintain
58 it, but it's not going to be me". The best example is probably sabnzbd,
59 which people want, but don't want to maintain.
62 > As this was done is completely unacceptable. Honor your fellow
63 > maintainers and don't trample over them like this. We already are in
64 > a
65 > lack of manpower, don't chase more away by trying to take the easy
66 > route and doing stuff like this without involving them via a tracker
67 > bug or other proper ways.
68 > If you don't maintain a package, you get to work with the maintainer,
69 > not do as you please without involving them at all. I am not aware of
70 > QA having such blanket authority either for such a case.
73 > I don't think anyone can have a valid problem with package.mask of
74 > some
75 > of the things mentioned (sabnzbd, abcde, etc), because they were
76 > indeed
77 > maintainer-needed or sound@ (which David is part of, and is known
78 > crickets territory) or whatnot. It seems to have found interested
79 > maintainers, as is normal with last-rite type of package.masks.
80 > But by including things that are actually maintained, without any
81 > apparent involvement of those maintainers, you allow for such outcry
82 > even for things that shouldn't be a problem, because you display ill
83 > intent and dishonoring towards your fellow maintainers.
84 >
85 > Honor your fellow Gentoo maintainers. Period.
88 > Mart