From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for January
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 22:05:08
1 On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 23:34 +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > Ok, so explain:
3 >
4 > * How perpetually open bugs are a maintenance burden. They don't
5 > generate emails and they don't require any work on the maintainer's
6 > part. Is the mere fact that they show up in queries all you're
7 > concerned about, and if so, have you considered either adapting your
8 > queries or requesting a special keyword to make such bugs easier to
9 > filter?
10
11 I have foo 1.0, which is mips. There is foo 2.0, which is stable
12 everywhere else. The foo 1.0 ebuild does not conform to current ebuild
13 standards. I want to commit changes to foo 2.0, and repoman won't allow
14 me due to problems in foo 1.0, but I don't want to WASTE MY TIME on foo
15 1.0, because it's been EOL for 2 years and I've had an open bug for mips
16 to test the newer version for 2 years. I've asked several mips team
17 developers, who all give me the same "we don't have enough
18 manpower/horsepower to test that right now" excuse.
19
20 > * How unmaintained ebuilds are a maintenance burden. Doesn't that
21 > contradict itself?
22
23 When repoman keeps me from being able to commit due to an ebuild that
24 remains in the tree only for an architecture hardly anyone uses or cares
25 about, that affects me.
26
27 Now, I know that you're just being your usual self-absorbed
28 argumentative self and I likely shouldn't feed you, but I thought that
29 answering this might clear it up for the people who don't understand
30 this as well as you do.
31
32 This is especially true since you've been pretty much the main proponent
33 for keeping things as they are with these slack arches. I mean, if
34 vapier can maintain arm/sh/s390, by himself, to a better degree than the
35 mips *TEAM* can do, that should be an indication of a problem.
38 Chris Gianelloni
39 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
40 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
41 Games Developer/Foundation Trustee