From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for January
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 02:17:49
1 On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 14:04:49 -0800
2 Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
3 > I have foo 1.0, which is mips. There is foo 2.0, which is stable
4 > everywhere else. The foo 1.0 ebuild does not conform to current
5 > ebuild standards. I want to commit changes to foo 2.0, and repoman
6 > won't allow me due to problems in foo 1.0, but I don't want to WASTE
7 > MY TIME on foo 1.0, because it's been EOL for 2 years and I've had an
8 > open bug for mips to test the newer version for 2 years. I've asked
9 > several mips team developers, who all give me the same "we don't have
10 > enough manpower/horsepower to test that right now" excuse.
11
12 You know what by far the largest cause of repoman not allowing you to
13 commit because of older versions is? Developers screwing up keywords
14 because they don't care about certain archs. Things don't mysteriously
15 break on their own...
16
17 > > * How unmaintained ebuilds are a maintenance burden. Doesn't that
18 > > contradict itself?
19 >
20 > When repoman keeps me from being able to commit due to an ebuild that
21 > remains in the tree only for an architecture hardly anyone uses or
22 > cares about, that affects me.
23
24 And why does repoman do that?
25
26 Oh. Yeah. Because people with an attitude like yours think that the
27 correct way to fix a repoman message is to start nuking arch keywords,
28 ignoring what it does to the rest of the tree.
29
30 > This is especially true since you've been pretty much the main
31 > proponent for keeping things as they are with these slack arches.
32
33 Perhaps because the people maintaining those archs have better things
34 to do that deal with the same silly ill-thought-out arguments every
35 three months.
36
37 > I mean, if vapier can maintain arm/sh/s390, by himself, to a better
38 > degree than the mips *TEAM* can do, that should be an indication of a
39 > problem.
40
41 That's an interesting assertion. Can you back it up?
44 Ciaran McCreesh