From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for January
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 20:09:53
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > And why does repoman do that?
3 >
4 > Oh. Yeah. Because people with an attitude like yours think that the
5 > correct way to fix a repoman message is to start nuking arch keywords,
6 > ignoring what it does to the rest of the tree.
7
8 Dropping keywords works perfectly to have repoman quit complaining, you
9 just have to do a recursive dropping on the rdeps of this package.
10
11 > Perhaps because the people maintaining those archs have better things
12 > to do that deal with the same silly ill-thought-out arguments every
13 > three months.
14
15 cia/cvs commits ml says something different, gentoo wise at least.
16
17 >> I mean, if vapier can maintain arm/sh/s390, by himself, to a better
18 >> degree than the mips *TEAM* can do, that should be an indication of a
19 >> problem.
20 >
21 > That's an interesting assertion. Can you back it up?
22
23 Feel free to run imlate scripts and come up with some numbers.
24
25 Note that I hate whining and I love get solutions.
26
27 MOST of the packages runs fine if they build fine, MOST of the
28 endian-issues or the 64bit-issues got caught by ppc and amd64 and there
29 aren't that many right now. Ugly arch specific codepath could be
30 present, but, as I said, usually you catch those breaking on gcc. So
31 having some way to test if the package builds (cross toolchain) and if
32 the package at least runs (qemu) IS something that should let small
33 arches with large tree coverage improve a bit. Otherwise you can just
34 reduce the tree coverage.
35
36 lu
40 Luca Barbato