From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] packages touching files in /dev
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 14:16:04
1 On Mon, May 23, 2022 at 5:39 AM <karl@××××××××.se> wrote:
2 >
3 > Dear package maintainers,
4 > please do not mess with preexisting files in /dev.
5 >
6 > I have static /dev and that suit me well for quite a few systems that
7 > has a static environment, especially system that are intended to run
8 > for a long time and where I tend to minimize the number of running
9 > processes, every running process is something that can go wrong.
10 > Their /dev/ files are set up for their intended use, and I don't want
11 > surprises there.
12 >
13 > When upgrading it isn't easy to see what package that did
14 > something to /dev so it isn't easy to bug the guilty party.
15 >
16 > If sys-fs/static-dev is installed, please do not touch /dev,
17 > if you want you can leave suggestions in some file.
18
19 This blanket request is unlikely to yield any useful results.
20
21 ebuilds don't generally do anything with /dev. Changing behavior based
22 on the presence of sys-fs/static-dev is probably not a good idea.
23
24 If you can identify specific packages that have caused you problems,
25 we can probably resolve them.