From: "Aaron W. Swenson" <titanofold@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] git security (SHA-1)
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 11:04:24
1 On 2014-09-16 14:40, hasufell wrote:
2 > Michael Orlitzky:
3 > > To put things in perspective, all I had to do was ask for commit access
4 > > and somebody eventually gave it to me. We should worry about this when
5 > > breaking SHA1 becomes less expensive than the ebuild quizzes.
6 >
7 > Yep, that's what I'd try to do actually if I was working for NSA
8 > (uh-oh). Try to get "collaborators" into every possible opensource project.
9 >
10 > There are so many thing you can do... e.g. "fix" a security bug, but
11 > reference a self-packaged tarball from your dev space (which still
12 > contains the exploit) in the ebuild. No one will know.
13 > And that's a pretty low hanging fruit.
16 This is what's been driving me batty. None of you verified my identity
17 before letting me be an official Gentoo Developer. Yet I have access to
18 the repo. All I had to do was complete the quizzes.
19
20 The real concern is restricting access to the master repository. If the
21 attacker has gained access, either by becoming a developer or some other
22 means, then we're only kind inconvenienced a little. We have to take the
23 system down for a bit, fix the problem, and replace the repo with a
24 trusted source or just roll it back to the last known good commit before
25 the good commit was made.
26
27 When Linus has talked about Git using SHA-1, the impression I got was
28 that it isn't a means of preventing attacks, but ensuring corruption
29 hasn't happened. When he talked about an attack to the kernel
30 repository, it was with BitKeeper, which used a much weaker hash, and
31 still thwarted an attack.
32
33 I also like what Pro Git has to say:
34 http://git-scm.com/book/ch6-1.html#A-SHORT-NOTE-ABOUT-SHA-1
35
36 It doesn't mention SHA-1 as a security feature, but that collissions are
37 effectively not a concern. Instead, we should be more concerned about us
38 all being dragged off into the night by wolves. Simultaneously.
39
40 Git hasn't promised to be secure against attacks. Just secure against
41 corruption. Two different things.
44 Mr. Aaron W. Swenson
45 Gentoo Linux Developer
46 PostgreSQL Herd Bull
47 Email : titanofold@g.o
48 GnuPG FP : 2C00 7719 4F85 FB07 A49C 0E31 5713 AA03 D1BB FDA0
49 GnuPG ID : D1BBFDA0