From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] git security (SHA-1)
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 14:40:55
1 Michael Orlitzky:
2 > On 09/16/2014 10:03 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >>
4 >> The gpg signature is on the entire contents of the "commit." However,
5 >> the contents of the commit do not include the files that are being
6 >> committed - it includes hashes of the parent commit, the commit
7 >> message, other headers, and the hash of the tree being committed,
8 >> which is sha1. That last hash is the only thing that ties the commit
9 >> to the files being committed, so you can modify the files all you like
10 >> as long as the sha1 is the same.
13 > To put things in perspective, all I had to do was ask for commit access
14 > and somebody eventually gave it to me. We should worry about this when
15 > breaking SHA1 becomes less expensive than the ebuild quizzes.
19 Yep, that's what I'd try to do actually if I was working for NSA
20 (uh-oh). Try to get "collaborators" into every possible opensource project.
21
22 There are so many thing you can do... e.g. "fix" a security bug, but
23 reference a self-packaged tarball from your dev space (which still
24 contains the exploit) in the ebuild. No one will know.
25 And that's a pretty low hanging fruit.