From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] git security (SHA-1)
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 14:30:53
1 On 09/16/2014 10:03 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 >
3 > The gpg signature is on the entire contents of the "commit." However,
4 > the contents of the commit do not include the files that are being
5 > committed - it includes hashes of the parent commit, the commit
6 > message, other headers, and the hash of the tree being committed,
7 > which is sha1. That last hash is the only thing that ties the commit
8 > to the files being committed, so you can modify the files all you like
9 > as long as the sha1 is the same.
12 To put things in perspective, all I had to do was ask for commit access
13 and somebody eventually gave it to me. We should worry about this when
14 breaking SHA1 becomes less expensive than the ebuild quizzes.