From: Alastair Tse <liquidx@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] *-doc vs USE="doc"
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 14:51:01
1 On Sat, 2003-07-12 at 11:25, Spider wrote:
2 > Well, this is an no-issue issue, from the beginning doc was used to
3 > differentiate wether to build the (costly, dependencywise and timewise)
4 > .ps, pdf. html and other versions of documentation from the original
5 > templates, actions which required jade, tetex and a lot of cpupower, or
6 > wether to just install the basic pregenerated documentation.
7 >
8 > This too goes for source-included things like gtk-doc (library
9 > documentation)
10 >
11 > So, any case that uses "doc" to differentiate manpages or general
14 OK, so "doc" is only to separate developer documentation? Is that a fair
15 definition? If so then I think the description of the useflag should be
16 modified. Because right now, it is very vague saying "Add Extra
17 Documentation".
18
19 > To separate devleoper-documentation is a common thing to do, since API's
20 > tend to change less frequently, so for say java 1.2.* could well use
21 > the documentation from any java-1.2 standard + some errata
22 >
23 > I'd suggest marking all packages that separate end-user documentation
24 > with USE="doc" are flawed and should be fixed. All those who have extra
25 > developer-centric documentation (api, examples and so on) could well
26 > have them separated in RDEPEND="doc? (${PN}-api-documentation )"
27
28 That seems reasonable. I just want clarify how we should handle docs. I
29 guess this is acceptable way. Just wondering why the docs aren't
30 actually included in the package themselves.
31
32 Cheers,
33 --
34 Alastair 'liquidx' Tse
35 >> Gentoo Developer
36 >> http://www.liquidx.net/ | http://dev.gentoo.org/~liquidx/
37 >> GPG Key : http://dev.gentoo.org/~liquidx/liquidx_gentoo_org.asc
38 >> FingerPrint : 579A 9B0E 43E8 0E40 EE93 BB1C 38CE 1C7B 3907 14F6