From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] *-doc vs USE="doc"
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 10:25:12
1 begin quote
2 On 12 Jul 2003 09:42:39 +0100
3 Alastair Tse <liquidx@g.o> wrote:
4
5 > Hi,
6 >
7 > I've noticed that there are a couple of *-docs packages[1] in the
8 > portage tree. These are usually either developer documentation or user
9 > documentation.
10 >
11 > I also note that we have a "doc" useflag with the definition:
12 >
13 > doc - Adds extra documentation (API, Javadoc, etc)
14 >
15 > So how should we include documentation with packages? There seems to
16 > be three schools of thoughts:
17
18 <snip>
19
20 > So how do we currently handle including documentation and why?
21 >
22 > I believe we should handle documentation installation uniformly
23 > portage-wide. I would like to see some discussion into how we should
24 > handle this situation and what exceptions there are.
25 >
26 > Also, it seems to me that the "doc" USE flag is too encompassing. It
27 > is used for both installing user documentation (user guides,
28 > application user help) and also to install developer documentation
29 > (APIs, programming tutorials, Javadoc, etc). I think we should have a
30 > "devdoc" USE flag to differentiate between the two.
31
32 Well, this is an no-issue issue, from the beginning doc was used to
33 differentiate wether to build the (costly, dependencywise and timewise)
34 .ps, pdf. html and other versions of documentation from the original
35 templates, actions which required jade, tetex and a lot of cpupower, or
36 wether to just install the basic pregenerated documentation.
37
38 This too goes for source-included things like gtk-doc (library
39 documentation)
40
41 So, any case that uses "doc" to differentiate manpages or general
44 > For instance, as a user, if I want to install help for all my
45 > applications, I would put "doc" in my USE flags. But this means it
46 > will pull in developer documentation from supporting libraries which I
47 > don't know, use or care about. By differentiating between the two,
48 > then developers can get their documentation nicely installed along
49 > with their packages, and also users will get less cruft and more
50 > useful documentation if they have the "doc" USE flag enabled.
51
52 Actually, helpfiles -should- be installed for all applications, and
53 should definitely not be protected by the USE="doc" statement, as to
54 remove helpfiles or basic package documentation is to cripple a package,
55 which we should not do to a user. (if they want their packages crippled
56 they can tell cron to rm -rf /usr/share/doc/* )
60 To separate devleoper-documentation is a common thing to do, since API's
61 tend to change less frequently, so for say java 1.2.* could well use
62 the documentation from any java-1.2 standard + some errata
63
64 I'd suggest marking all packages that separate end-user documentation
65 with USE="doc" are flawed and should be fixed. All those who have extra
66 developer-centric documentation (api, examples and so on) could well
67 have them separated in RDEPEND="doc? (${PN}-api-documentation )"
70 > Any comments?
71 >
72 > Cheers,
73 >
74 > Alastair
75 >
76 > .. [1] Current -docs packages in portage
77 > app-doc/php-docs
78 > app-doc/qt-docs
79 > app-doc/root-docs
80 > dev-db/firebird-docs
81 > dev-java/java-sdk.docs
82 > dev-python/Cheetah-docs
83 > dev-python/python-docs
84 > dev-python/wxpython-docs
87 > gnome-extra/gnome2-user-docs
88 This isn't separated but an individual package, pulled in by the gnome
89 metapackage.
92 //Spider
95 begin .signature
96 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
98 end