From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Python 3.1: Stabilization and news item
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 18:03:55
1 On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 05:47:18PM +0000, Jeremy Olexa wrote:
2 >
3 > On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 10:32:37 -0700, Joshua Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
4 > wrote:
5 > >> > But everyone else in Gentoo does, so . . .
6
7 Really? I've seen a few people object, but not everyone in gentoo.
8
9 > >>
10 > >> Some Gentoo developers/users, who aren't Python maintainers, said that
11 > >> they didn't object to have Python 3 installed.
12 > >
13 > > They're in the minority, judging by the replies in this thread.
14 >
15 > I hate to get into the mix of this, but I suggest researching on "vocal
16 > minority" and/or "silent majority" - the most vocal ones on this thread are
17 > the minority of the population. I'm not attacking anyone, mind you.
18 >
19 > I haven't expressed anything on this thread but I'm ok with marking it
20 > stable and having concerned users mask it. The stages might get kinda funky
21 > with both python-2 and 3 on them, but..if they are not BROKEN, I don't
22 > care.
23
24 I tend to agree with this. I don't think it is right to force everyone
25 to wait until most of the tree works with python3 before it goes stable.
26 That is why python is slotted; it is possible to have both versions
27 installed at the same time. If we have packages in the tree that are
28 pulling in both versions of python but are not compatible with them,
29 their dependencies need to be fixed. If users do not want python-3 on
30 their systems, that is what /etc/portage/package.mask is for.
31
32 If we are going to make everyone wait until python-3 works with most
33 packages in the tree, let's un-slot all versionf of python and hard mask
34 python-3.
35
36 William