From: Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Python 3.1: Stabilization and news item
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 19:57:39
1 Am 24.03.2010 19:03, schrieb William Hubbs:
2 > On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 05:47:18PM +0000, Jeremy Olexa wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 10:32:37 -0700, Joshua Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
5 >> wrote:
6 >>>>> But everyone else in Gentoo does, so . . .
7 >
8 > Really? I've seen a few people object, but not everyone in gentoo.
9 >
10 >>>>
11 >>>> Some Gentoo developers/users, who aren't Python maintainers, said that
12 >>>> they didn't object to have Python 3 installed.
13 >>>
14 >>> They're in the minority, judging by the replies in this thread.
15 >>
16 >> I hate to get into the mix of this, but I suggest researching on "vocal
17 >> minority" and/or "silent majority" - the most vocal ones on this thread are
18 >> the minority of the population. I'm not attacking anyone, mind you.
19 >>
20 >> I haven't expressed anything on this thread but I'm ok with marking it
21 >> stable and having concerned users mask it. The stages might get kinda funky
22 >> with both python-2 and 3 on them, but..if they are not BROKEN, I don't
23 >> care.
24 >
25 > I tend to agree with this. I don't think it is right to force everyone
26 > to wait until most of the tree works with python3 before it goes stable.
27 > That is why python is slotted; it is possible to have both versions
28 > installed at the same time. If we have packages in the tree that are
29 > pulling in both versions of python but are not compatible with them,
30 > their dependencies need to be fixed. If users do not want python-3 on
31 > their systems, that is what /etc/portage/package.mask is for.
32 >
33 > If we are going to make everyone wait until python-3 works with most
34 > packages in the tree, let's un-slot all versionf of python and hard mask
35 > python-3.
36 >
37 > William
40 Who said, that we are against a stable python-3 version?
41
42 The main point (as already pointed out in my previous thread about python-3) is, that it is not in
43 any way required or used. But there are still wrong dependencies (where Arfrever just closes bugs as
44 invalid) and packages like the mentioned "setuptools", which will always pull in python-3.
45
46 Why should we pull in python-3 for ever user, force the usual user to install a useless python-3 and
47 additional files in python-3 path for many python packages? The minimum would be to tell them, that
48 this python version is currently useless and they have the option to mask it locally. And i really
49 dont think, that the default stable user knows, that python-3 is not really needed and can be
50 masked, usually the pulled in dependencies are required, so he will expect the same for python-3.
53 Thomas Sachau
54
55 Gentoo Linux Developer