From: Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: useflag policies
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 12:31:16
1 On 11/08/15 20:10, Sergey Popov wrote:
2 > Err, i have read the whole thread and still does not get a point, why i
3 > am wrong.
4
5 You clearly have not. The reasoning behind Qt team's policy is described
6 on the page and has been reiterated on this list. You are undermining
7 what little confidence there is in the QA team by making decisions with
8 no consultation about problems you do not understand.
9
10 > It's old battle like we have beforce with "gtk" meaning "any versions of
11 > GTK flag". This behaviour should be killed with fire.
12 >
13 > Let's me reiterate some of the cases:
14 >
15 > 1. Package can be build without Qt GUI at all, but either Qt4 or Qt5 can
16 > be chosen, but not both.
17 >
18 > Fix this with REQUIRED_USE, do not enable any of Qt flags by default
19
20 Problem: this requires manual intervention if the user has both qt4 and
21 qt5 USE flags enabled.
24 > 2. Package can not be build without Qt GUI - either Qt4 or Qt5 is
25 > required, but not both
26 >
27 > Same thing here, different REQUIRED_USE operator. But - enable one of
28 > the flags by default to ease life of users.
29
30 Problem: this requires manual intervention if the user has both qt4 and
31 qt5 USE flags enabled.
34 > 3. Package can be build with Qt4 or Qt5 or both AT THE SAME TIME(if such
35 > package even exists?)
36 >
37 > Do not use REQUIRED_USE here, not needed.
38 >
39 > Now, please tell me, where am i wrong?
42 The problem is manual intervention is required if the user has both qt4
43 and qt5 USE flags enabled - and this is a common configuration. It is
44 not acceptable to make a user manually add numerous package.use entries
45 when all they want to do is install KDE.
46
47 I agree Qt's policy is not a perfect solution, but in the absence of
48 some feature allowing a preference to be set when there is a conflict
49 it's the best we've got.