From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Use GLEP27!
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 10:57:15
1 >>>>> On Tue, 15 Dec 2015, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2
3 > On 15 Dec 2015 20:23, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
4 >> > short/mid term, i was thinking of writing a new package that
5 >> > holds the db and tools to query/manage it. user.eclass would
6 >> > DEPEND on it and ask it for details, perhaps even doing the
7 >> > actual fs updates (the bash code here is not pretty wrt locks and
8 >> > python would be much nicer). that tool could even search
9 >> > additional site paths (like /usr/local) to locate overrides.
10 >>
11 >> how do we get our own uid/gid's in there for our packages? just
12 >> open a bug against the new package?
13
14 > i would open the git repo to all devs and just let anyone push
15 > directly and roll releases. maybe just push a tag and that's what
16 > the ebuild would hit. no need to be gate keepers here since we don't
17 > today w/ebuilds and calls to enew{user,group}.
18
19 So if I want to add a new user or group, I would have to commit it to
20 the repo of that package, then roll a new release, create an ebuild
21 for that release, add that version to DEPEND of my own package's
22 ebuild, and only then my ebuild could refer to the new user? And
23 eventually, I'd have to take care of stabilising things, too? That
24 looks like a cumbersome procedure, even if it is only intended as a
25 stopgap solution until we can move things to a profile.
26
27 Couldn't we add the user/group db to a subdir of the eclass dir
28 instead, so that user.eclass could access it there?
29
30 Ulrich