From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Use GLEP27!
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 13:45:50
1 On 17 Dec 2015 11:57, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > >>>>> On Tue, 15 Dec 2015, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > On 15 Dec 2015 20:23, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
4 > >> > short/mid term, i was thinking of writing a new package that
5 > >> > holds the db and tools to query/manage it. user.eclass would
6 > >> > DEPEND on it and ask it for details, perhaps even doing the
7 > >> > actual fs updates (the bash code here is not pretty wrt locks and
8 > >> > python would be much nicer). that tool could even search
9 > >> > additional site paths (like /usr/local) to locate overrides.
10 > >>
11 > >> how do we get our own uid/gid's in there for our packages? just
12 > >> open a bug against the new package?
13 >
14 > > i would open the git repo to all devs and just let anyone push
15 > > directly and roll releases. maybe just push a tag and that's what
16 > > the ebuild would hit. no need to be gate keepers here since we don't
17 > > today w/ebuilds and calls to enew{user,group}.
18 >
19 > So if I want to add a new user or group, I would have to commit it to
20 > the repo of that package, then roll a new release, create an ebuild
21 > for that release, add that version to DEPEND of my own package's
22 > ebuild, and only then my ebuild could refer to the new user? And
23 > eventually, I'd have to take care of stabilising things, too? That
24 > looks like a cumbersome procedure, even if it is only intended as a
25 > stopgap solution until we can move things to a profile.
26
27 yes, that's what you'd have to do. considering packages themselves have
28 to go through stabilization, that particular aspect isn't a big deal. or
29 we just auto-stable it.
30
31 > Couldn't we add the user/group db to a subdir of the eclass dir
32 > instead, so that user.eclass could access it there?
33
34 people get whiny when we leverage eclass/ for storage. but we do it
35 already, so it makes no difference to me.
36 -mike