From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] QA Overlay Layout support.
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 06:57:30
1 On 19:18 Mon 02 Mar , Alistair Bush wrote:
2 > Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 >> Combine this with package.mask. To me, experimental means masked.
4 >
5 > Experimental within java means a lot of things, or at least it should.
6 > Anything from user contributed and non-dev qa'd to packages with bundled
7 > jars to attempts to package projects like maven which are difficult and
8 > time consuming ( and which attempts to do so have failed numerous times
9 > before might I add ).
10 >
11 > Asking non-dev contributors to handle package.mask's would be a "less
12 > than ideal". Resulting in "interesting breakages". Currently by adding
13 > java-experimental ( which might I add isn't available thru layman ) you
14 > are accepting that risk.
15
16 I don't understand the distinction you're making here. Either way, users
17 explicitly take a manual action to enable additional experimental
18 packages (unmasking or adding an overlay full of them). In fact, I see
19 the separate-overlay option as worse because then you get *everything*
20 from the overlay, whereas package.mask is more granular and can be
21 fine-tuned per-package.
22
23 Could you explain what you see as the important difference that makes
24 package.mask bad and a separate overlay good?
27 Thanks,
28 Donnie
29
30 Donnie Berkholz