From: Alistair Bush <ali_bush@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] QA Overlay Layout support.
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 07:57:51
1 Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > On 19:18 Mon 02 Mar , Alistair Bush wrote:
3 >> Donnie Berkholz wrote:
4 >
5 > Could you explain what you see as the important difference that makes
6 > package.mask bad and a separate overlay good?
9 Contributors sometimes have difficulty following standards (hell even
10 dev's do). I have little confidence that would also be able to actually
11 add packages to package.mask without breaking anything else.
12 As an example we had a contributor break the manifests of a dozen or so
13 packages because he updated the Copyright header then couldn't get the
14 ebuild to manifest. I can imagine someone committing dev-java/ant-core
15 to the file. That and there are 325 ebuilds [1] in java-experimental.
16 Masking even 1/2 of them separately would be a complete nightmare.
17
18 I also note that sunrise doesn't seem to do this either.
19
20 Also no ebuilds are ever marked stable, so it should be easy for
21 someone to just add an entry in their package.keywords file.
22
23 And what is stopping a user from wanting to have their own overlay, that
24 uses java-overlay ( or java-experimental or any other overlay )
25 packages. Are we to say that we shouldn't allow tools to have support
26 for this. I think that it is a nature progression that if we are to
27 allow overlays to extend the portage tree that we should allow overlays
28 to extend other overlays.
29
30 [1] java-experimental $ find . -iname '*.ebuild' | wc -l