From: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] QA Overlay Layout support.
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 09:30:17
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Alistair Bush wrote:
7 > Donnie Berkholz wrote:
8 >> On 19:18 Mon 02 Mar , Alistair Bush wrote:
9 >>> Donnie Berkholz wrote:
10 >>
11 >> Could you explain what you see as the important difference that makes
12 >> package.mask bad and a separate overlay good?
15 > Contributors sometimes have difficulty following standards (hell even
16 > dev's do). I have little confidence that would also be able to actually
17 > add packages to package.mask without breaking anything else.
18 > As an example we had a contributor break the manifests of a dozen or so
19 > packages because he updated the Copyright header then couldn't get the
20 > ebuild to manifest. I can imagine someone committing dev-java/ant-core
21 > to the file. That and there are 325 ebuilds [1] in java-experimental.
22 > Masking even 1/2 of them separately would be a complete nightmare.
23 >
24 > I also note that sunrise doesn't seem to do this either.
25 >
26 > Also no ebuilds are ever marked stable, so it should be easy for
27 > someone to just add an entry in their package.keywords file.
28 >
29 > And what is stopping a user from wanting to have their own overlay, that
30 > uses java-overlay ( or java-experimental or any other overlay )
31 > packages. Are we to say that we shouldn't allow tools to have support
32 > for this. I think that it is a nature progression that if we are to
33 > allow overlays to extend the portage tree that we should allow overlays
34 > to extend other overlays.
35 >
36 > [1] java-experimental $ find . -iname '*.ebuild' | wc -l
39 To put some perspective from KDE side:
40
41 find /home/gentoo-cvs/kde-git/kde -iname *9999.ebuild | wc -l
42 330
43
44 Also, having separate overlays would allow one to do experimental stuff
45 with eclasses in the experimental overlay without affecting users of the
46 base overlay. Until we get versioned eclasses, I don't see how one can
47 do that with a single overlay.
48 Last, but not least, as Alistair explained, mixing everything together
49 confuses users. We've had a few issues with users because of that. In
50 fact, that was the main reason to start the whole package.mask as a dir
51 deal.
52
53 - --
54 Regards,
55
56 Jorge Vicetto (jmbsvicetto) - jmbsvicetto at gentoo dot org
57 Gentoo- forums / Userrel / Devrel / SPARC / KDE