From: Tobias Klausmann <klausman@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] SPF at g.o
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 20:50:59
1 Hi!
2
3 On Thu, 26 Oct 2006, Alin Nastac wrote:
4 > Facts:
5 > a) current SPF TXT record of our domain is "v=spf1 mx ptr ?all"
6 > b) I use my own MTA to send my @g.o messages.
7 > c) Probably I am not the only one who does that
8
9 d) I've just spent nearly an hour to debug an error that resulted
10 from an overly-zealous MX admin thinking it'd be nice to also
11 check the Header-From: against SPF, breaking several mailinglists
12 in the process.
13
14 > Conclusion:
15 > The proper TXT record for our domain would be "v=spf1 +all", which
16 > translates (according to http://new.openspf.org/SPF_Record_Syntax ) as
17 > "the domain owner thinks that SPF is useless". And it really is useless,
18 > at the very least for our widespread organization.
19
20 For me the proper conclusion is: don't ever implement SPF for
21 your own domains. It wreaks all sorts of nasty havoc, including,
22 but not limited to, broken mailing lists and forwards.
23
24 Regards,
25 a slightly pissed off
26 Tobias