From: Richard Freeman <rich@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: auto-detection of unpack dependencies
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 20:48:06
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 12:23:08 -0700
3 > Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
4 >> Could someone explain why manually doing work is better than
5 >> automatically detecting the deps? This sounds like an argument
6 >> against automation, and I'm not following it.
7 >
8 > Sometimes the magic will be wrong. For example, packages that have
9 > a .zip file in SRC_URI but that don't unpack that file (say, if they
10 > install it into sharedir as-is instead) don't need a dep upon unzip.
13 Couldn't the ebuild be wrong? For example, if the package manager uses
14 fancy-unzip-replacement to unzip packages, but the ebuild depends on
15 unzip, then wouldn't it fail? It seems like we're trying to have
16 ebuilds DEPEND on something that in reality the package manager is doing.
17
18 Shouldn't the package manager depend on unzip instead? If circular
19 references are the problem, then wouldn't it be better to find a better
20 way to handle circular references (ie more specific ways of defining
21 dependencies)?
22
23 The advantage I see with automagic PM dependency calculations is that
24 the PM is the program calling unzip, so the PM ought to be able to
25 figure out whether it needs to call unzip.

smime.p7s application/x-pkcs7-signature