From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: auto-detection of unpack dependencies
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 20:53:42
1 On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 16:45:38 -0400
2 Richard Freeman <rich@××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
3 > Couldn't the ebuild be wrong? For example, if the package manager
4 > uses fancy-unzip-replacement to unzip packages, but the ebuild
5 > depends on unzip, then wouldn't it fail? It seems like we're trying
6 > to have ebuilds DEPEND on something that in reality the package
7 > manager is doing.
8
9 For current EAPIs, we pretty much mandate that 'unzipping .zip files is
10 done using app-arch/unzip'. It's not ideal.
11
12 For future EAPIs, we can have the package manager define
13 super-magic/thing-i-use-to-unzip.
14
15 > Shouldn't the package manager depend on unzip instead? If circular
16 > references are the problem, then wouldn't it be better to find a
17 > better way to handle circular references (ie more specific ways of
18 > defining dependencies)?
19
20 Having the package manager depend upon things like 7z for the two
21 packages in the tree that use it isn't sane.
22
23 One could argue that having package manager support for extracting 7z
24 is also not sane, of course, but that's something we're stuck with in
25 current EAPIs.
28 Ciaran McCreesh