From: Mauricio Lima Pilla <pilla@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Council Reminder for August 7
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 12:31:36
1 On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 9:16 AM, Tobias Scherbaum <dertobi123@g.o>wrote:
2
3 > Mark Loeser wrote:
4 > > I personally don't see why they should be allowed to stay part of our
5 > > communication channels where they have caused problems bad enough to get
6 > > them retired. With that being said, I think the same technical issues
7 > > come into play here as with banning someone from "Gentoo" entirely.
8 >
9 > I agree on this. I'd limit this ban to channels where they have caused
10 > problems though (or channels which they've been taking part of), banning
11 > them on each and every #gentoo-* channel is just an unnecessary overhead
12 > imho. And for the given technical restrictions they'd be banned as
13 > suggested, when they are coming back using another IP or another nick
14 > the same rules would apply as for every other user - warning and ban if
15 > they're misbehaving.
16 >
17 > > I am not sure how we would be able to enforce this across the board for
18 > > forcefully retired developers.
19 >
20 > It's not really possible without some huge work overhead to fully ban
21 > someone - therefore given limitations as described above would apply.
22 > Everything else is not doable from my pov.
23 >
24 > Tobias
27 Although it isn't feasible in practice, such a policy would allow us to
28 defenestrate forcefully retired developers that keep coming back to mailing
29 lists or channels with the same attitude that got then kicked, without
30 having to resort to long process and waste of our human resources. We
31 wouldn't have to go through the same process over and over again: if
32 somebody was retired and keeps doing the same things as when was a
33 developer, then people in charge of channels or mailing lists might take
34 instant action as they find it necessary. If they get a new attitude after
35 retired, I'm sure that the people in charge will not take the extra work to
36 ban them for nothing.
37
38 My R$ 0.02.
41 Pilla