From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Conveying important upgrade messages to user community
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 19:51:53
1 On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 08:01:45PM +0100, Alexander Skwar wrote:
2 > Now, please come on. Do you actually expect anyone to stare at
3 > at the compilation output for many hourse, just to catch the
4 > message that might be in the output?
5
6 In this specific case, there were no compile messages output, as the
7 files are all in bash.
8
9 And I agree with Chris, I warned the users in the ebuild, and if they
10 didn't see it, no matter how many blinking lights, and other bright
11 shiny ways of reporting the message, people would have missed it.
12
13 And in the end, everyone who did stumble accross the issue, learned a
14 bit more about how the kernel, modules, and userspace interacts and came
15 away with more understanding. Which is always a good thing.
16
17 Just wait till we make the kernel automatically upgrade from 2.4 to 2.6
18 :)
19
20 thanks,
21