From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Ideas for a (fast) EAPI=3
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 03:58:42
1 On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 3:25 PM, Ciaran McCreesh
2 <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Mon, 9 Mar 2009 23:20:03 +0100
4 > Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o> wrote:
5 >> Package A goes stable, test suite passes. Package B (a dependency of
6 >> A) goes stable in a newer version, which will cause A to not merge in
7 >> stable profile. This happens all the time and is no special case.
8 >
9 > Uh, you *are* testing things that use a library before you stable that
10 > library, right?
11
12 You can't test everything. I think for a small project like exherbo
13 where everyone basically sees eye to eye on a number of ideas this
14 works great. Everyone agrees testing is super and they will fix
15 broken tests or RESTRICT them. But Gentoo is bigger, and people have
16 varying opinions, and on this topic the opinions are rather strong; so
17 I kindly ask that you drop it. There are plenty of other far more
18 useful features on your list that are worth your time and will
19 actually slide through rather quickly ;)
22 > Besides, if a newer version of a library breaks a package using it, you
23 > most definitely want to know about it before you end up merging
24 > something that won't work. If src_test is failing where it used to
25 > work, it's a very good sign that something's broken, and you shouldn't
26 > be carrying on.
27 >
28 > --
29 > Ciaran McCreesh