From: Michael Weber <xmw@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] call for testers: udev predictable network interface names
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 08:42:30
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 Hi all,
5
6 I respect both sides of the discussion, because:
7
8 a) I once set up an old P3-700 with 5+1 eth cards in 6 different
9 networks as (bridging)router and truly benefited from the ability to
10 change a broken NIC - which happened quite often due scrap-metal
11 hardware - without ending up with martian packages, dhcp service on
12 the wrong places. But that was 1 incident in 10 years.
13
14 b) I use multi-nic servers, some with onboard and extention NICs
15
16 c) I tend to move my setups (esp. my laptop) around between different
17 hardware (nearly identical thinkpad R61/X61), and I _share_ my
18 installation with other/new users by cloning my disc (well rsync),
19 lets call this stageN installation.
20
21 d) I abuse an old multiport GBit card as GBit switch in my desktop,
22 besides an onboard one.
23
24 e) Some distro/driver constellations (archlinux?) tend to name their
25 wireless lan eth*.
26
27 This resulted in one decision per setup, whether or not to set
28 /etc/conf.d/udev's
29
30 > persistent_net_disable="yes" persistent_cd_disable="yes"
31
32 Either to avoid random names due hardware replacement (a) or changed
33 module loading order (b, inside debian initrd)
34 or to just use kernel names (eth0, wlan0) because no other cards
35 present (c) or the NIC drivers compiled into the kernel (d).
36 e) never happened to me.
37
38 It always bugged me to fix/reboot systems which needlessly end up with
39 eth1/wlan1 because some stupid pre-persistent_net_disable did not
40 recognize beeing run on an entirely different hardware.
41
42 So can we just watch out for the disable="yes" setting and migrate it
43 during udev's pkg_install phases __and__ post an big fat warning
44 (elog, news item) on the wall?
45
46 I assume most linux users do not operate
47 servers/multi-nic/multi-networking setups, do not clone their setups
48 to other hardware.
49 Given that, these user will almost only see the 'my nics changed names
50 and i cannot connect to the internet' errors due some moronic or
51 unavoidable change in initrd/module loading.
52 That might be the driving force behind udev persistence in the first
53 place.
54
55 I'd be glad if I we respect setups w/ custom-built kernels, w/o
56 initrds, roots capable of choosing network-name-persistence iff
57 needed, users adoring the possibility of just dd(1)'ing installations
58 to new hardware without reinstalling or entering an new product code.
59
60 rant=1; And I'd like to avoid dozends of conversations like "Yeah,
61 your setup/firewall/rouing/... command no longer works, eth0 is no
62 enp0xx2_at_home_lid_open or was it _bluetooth_turned_off. Didn't you
63 read the post on some derps mailing list." with haunted people not
64 knowing better than asking me about their problems.
65 Not to mention all online documentation/forum posts referring to eth0.
66 rant=0;
67
68 Keep up the good work!
69