From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] call for testers: udev predictable network interface names
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2013 22:14:02
1 All,
2
3 as you probably know by now, udev-197 has hit the tree.
4
5 This new version implements a new feature called predictable network
6 interface names [1], which I have currently turned off for live systems, because it
7 will require migration on the part of the user.
8
9 When you upgrade to this new version of udev, you will find a file
10 /etc/udev/rules.d/80-net-name-slot.rules on your system. It currently
11 has comments explaining what is happening.
12
13 As long as this file is in place, this feature is not activated. That is
14 why there is not a news item. If you do nothing, nothing changes.
15
16 What I would like to do is find some people who are willing to migrate
17 and report any issues they find.
18
19 I would like this to be the default for everyone at some point, so I
20 want to document the migration process and find out if there are any
21 bugs in tools because they expect the eth* names.
22
23 Thoughts?
24
25 William