From: Dan Armak <ermak@×××××××××××××.il>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Linux Standard Base
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 23:55:17
1 You're absoutely right. The LSB guys aren't going to provide us with
2 'software map' files or RPMs themselves. The only people likely to do that
3 are the maintainers of a distro or, the developers of the program who would
4 then lean (naturally) to their own preferred distro.
5
6 But why is it that whenever I want to download some package from its
7 home site I see only one source tarball but more RPMs than I can count? Is
8 this the 'standard' they propose? Imagine a caricature: the LSB stands
9 between Redhat, SuSE and Mandrake, planting its flag with the motto: the
10 center of the earth is Here. Gentoo and some other stragglers are seen on the
11 horizon.
12
13 Instead of _making_ a standard, they _selected_ one. Instead of reconciling
14 the differences between the distributions, they've selected a feature which
15 several have and the others deprecate and said: this is Right. It is a Good
16 Thing. I call this monopoly practice, and discouraging competion. I could
17 almost believe Redhat bribed the LSB. Ugh.
18
19 If pursued, this policy (not only with regard to RPMs, but other similar
20 propositions as well) won't 'standardize' and 'unite' anyone - it can only
21 create a rift between the RPM-based distros and those that aren't.
22
23 Remember the LSB half a year or so ago? Their main accomplishment was the FHS
24 (in itself a very good thing). How did they characterize themselves back
25 then? (Maybe they still do.) They would provide standard specifications for
26 various parts of Linux, as they did with the FHS, so that the distributions
27 become interoperable! I always thought this meant I could compile - well,
28 anything - even a program designed for some other Unix perhaps - and it would
29 work out of the box! But is seems that the LSB, after debating for what - a
30 year, more? - finally decided that the best way to ensure that would be to
31 make other people compile for me, and give me binary RPMs! If it took a year
32 to decide, it must have been 'stuck in committee'...
33
34 The distributions are supposed to be different - that's why they exist.
35 Grassroots anti-LSB movement anyone?.. :-)
36
37 Dan Armak
38