From: Terje Kvernes <terjekv@××××××××.no>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Linux Standard Base
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 13:25:38
1 Dan Armak <ermak@×××××××××××××.il> writes:
2
3 > But there's already one such method that always works - configure;
4 > make; make install. If LSB says RPMs are better than that, it
5 > discourages practicing what is the heart of Portage - automatized
6 > downloading, compiling & installing. The LSB should push for
7 > standardized results, not for a standard way of achieving them.
8
9 extremely well put.
10
11 > Whoever wants a pre-compiled package will eventually be able to get
12 > it via Portage which already supports binary packages. Whoever gets
13 > a package from its home site as source is thus encouraged to write
14 > an ebuild for it and give back to the community. RPM availability
15 > would desatroy that - Portage and emerge would simply become much
16 > less important.
17
18 well, and there is more icky stuff:
19
20 ,----[ <url: http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/gLSB/gLSB/x12251.html > ]
21 | Package Dependencies
22 |
23 | Packages must depend on a dependency "lsb". They may not depend on
24 | other system-provided dependencies. If a package includes "Provides"
25 | it must only provide a virtual package name which is registered to
26 | that application.
27 `----
28
29 at first, one might think, "great, no more looking for the oddball
30 package that contains <foo>"... but in reality, you're saying.
31 "bundle everything inside lsb and everything outside as well". since
32 there isn't a _real_ frontend like portage or apt for standard rpm
33 usage these days, every distro will need to make all their base
34 packages lsb-noted, but who'll _do_ that? and what will lsb do when
35 debian, slackware and Suse come along saying "hey, we want _this_ to
36 be the glibc-package", but RedHat already has a "lsb-glibc"-package?
37
38 you don't want _your_ lsb-packages to depend on other distros
39 lsb-packages do you?
40
41 > Of course, choice is important. So whoever thinks RPMs are good for
42 > Gentoo can go ahead and modify Portage/emerge to support them.
43
44 agreed. being able to say "emerge -rpm <package>" might not be a bad
45 thing, but it's still not as nice. the only _real_ reason for a
46 common binary format is for the business world who want to be able
47 to brand their binary package as "lsb-approved". of course, the way
48 they'll do this is called "static linking", just to be on the safe
49 side. I doubt we'll see this change.
50
51 > But people who still think actually compiling a package with the
52 > correct optimizations for you CPU is best <gasp> shouldn't be
53 > branded non-standard. (Or non-mainstream <gasp>).
54
55 it's been that way for a while. personally I've used redhat, some
56 debian, some suse and some slackware for some time. I like different
57 things from different places, and I to love the _idea_ behind
58 Gentoo, because it addresses everything I've missed. easy to
59 customize, easy to upgrade, easy to admin and still state of the art
60 where you want it to be so (sadly, debian doesn't make the last
61 point at all).
62
63 > Well, that's my opinion, for what it's worth. (phew!)
64
65 right, that means we're up to what? 0.04$? :)
68 Terje - adding his two cents.