From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: removal of digest files from the tree
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 01:45:08
1 On Sun, 2008-01-27 at 17:11 -0800, Zac Medico wrote:
2 > >> If there are no objections then I don't so any reason not to go ahead and add
3 > >> the manifest1_obsolete sometime in the near future. Thoughts?
4 > > Let's do it. I look forward to a lot less inodes on my disks.
5 >
6 > Let's schedule a date for it then and we can have a big announcement
7 > to let everyone know.
8
9 Dammit.
10
11 I wanted this before January 31st, so it would make it into the 2008.0
12 snapshot. Do we think we can get this done by January 31st?
13
14 I think so. One reason that I think that we don't need to wait very
15 long is rather simple. People running very old versions of portage that
16 will be affected by this are also not likely to read our news or see our
17 front page on a regular basis. They're likely to get broken, no matter
18 what we do. Hell, even posting it to the GMN/forums/lists/planet/front
19 page, we'll still end up getting complaints from these people when they
20 come back $months from now and the news is no longer sticky in the
21 forums, has rotated off the front page, isn't even a distant memory on
22 the lists, and is in a several month old newsletter.
23
24 When gauging impact/scope of a problem, always look at who it affects
25 and the situation. You only need to take as much precaution as
26 necessary to cover the cases worth spending the time to cover. There
27 will *always* be corner cases. You just try to minimize them.
28
29 I doubt much of anything aside from portage/paludis/pkgcore use the
30 digest files, and I'd bet that paludis/pkgcore don't use them, at all.
31
32 I think throwing up an announcement today/tomorrow for Thursday/Friday
33 should be sufficient for this sort of a change, as it won't affect any
34 user who has a version of portage released in the past ~1.5 years.
37 Chris Gianelloni
38 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
39 Games Developer