From: Vlastimil Babka <caster@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: removal of digest files from the tree
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 08:56:08
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2008-01-27 at 17:11 -0800, Zac Medico wrote:
3 >>>> If there are no objections then I don't so any reason not to go ahead and add
4 >>>> the manifest1_obsolete sometime in the near future. Thoughts?
5 >>> Let's do it. I look forward to a lot less inodes on my disks.
6 >> Let's schedule a date for it then and we can have a big announcement
7 >> to let everyone know.
8 >
9 > Dammit.
10 >
11 > I wanted this before January 31st, so it would make it into the 2008.0
12 > snapshot. Do we think we can get this done by January 31st?
13
14 Would be great.
15
16 > I think so. One reason that I think that we don't need to wait very
17 > long is rather simple. People running very old versions of portage that
18 > will be affected by this are also not likely to read our news or see our
19 > front page on a regular basis. They're likely to get broken, no matter
20 > what we do. Hell, even posting it to the GMN/forums/lists/planet/front
21 > page, we'll still end up getting complaints from these people when they
22 > come back $months from now and the news is no longer sticky in the
23 > forums, has rotated off the front page, isn't even a distant memory on
24 > the lists, and is in a several month old newsletter.
25
26 Sounds logical.
27
28 > I think throwing up an announcement today/tomorrow for Thursday/Friday
29 > should be sufficient for this sort of a change, as it won't affect any
30 > user who has a version of portage released in the past ~1.5 years.
33 ++
34
35 Caster
36 --