From: "Joshua J. Berry" <condordes@g.o>
To: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Enterprise Installer [was "LWE Aftermath" on -core]
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2004 00:31:12
1 On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 08:08:32PM -0400, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 17:34, Joshua J. Berry wrote:
3 > > No, I do mean a profile-ish thing ... install is just the first step in maintenance.
4 > > Suppose you have a bunch of preinstalled workstations and you want to push out
5 > > another app. How do you do it? Add it to the profile-ish thing.
6 >
7 > So you mean something like Red Hat's channel subscriptions? Honestly,
8 > they have a good idea. Have you ever played with their Satellite Server
9 > product? It is essentially a local copy of RHN which also allows you to
10 > create custom channels to subscribe systems to and also allows you to
11 > easily manage your kickstart configurations for building new systems.
12
13 I haven't ... I stopped using Red Hat myself sometime around RH8, and I never
14 did use their RHN system.
15
16 > > The point I was trying to make is, we should--eventually--support both options.
17 > > We don't need to do it immediately, of course, but it should be there.
18 >
19 > I don't think I am following you. What is "the little guy" option? At
20 > what point does it become easier to not use DHCP and PXE? Is it even
21 > worth the effort to "deploy" on that number of machines, or are you
22 > speaking more of a simple installer? The installer is within the scope
23 > of the enterprise product. Nothing is stopping someone from using it,
24 > even on a single machine.
25
26 mmm. You're probably right. It's been a while since I looked at PXE myself, so
27 I may be remembering it as harder/more daunting than it really is.
28
29 > > The first is pretty much what I was suggesting.
30 > >
31 > > I realize this can be done now, but there should--eventually--be tools to make
32 > > management of custom trees easier.
33 >
34 > I'm not sure how much easier it can be that copying an ebuild, but I'm
35 > with you. If you see a need and it is something that should be managed,
36 > then by all means lets do it.
37
38 Except it's not just copying the ebuild, it's copying the ebuild, managing the
39 digests, copying the patches ... ;)
40
41 > > > Something like this would require an enormous dedication and a very
42 > > > far-reaching plan. To be honest, even if you're just starting school, I
43 > > > wouldn't expect to see this even at a remotely close to completed stage by the
44 > > > time you graduate without some serious financial and manpower backing.
45 > >
46 > > I understand that. But if we don't start somewhere, such a project will never
47 > > be completed.
48 >
49 > I agree. I also think that it is a long and painful road and am simply
50 > not rushing into anything with a fool's hope that it will be easy.
51
52 Oh no, I never said it would be easy. Just that we should do it. ;)
53
54 > > > The real problem is that these sort of things are pretty boring to bring
55 > > > about. Interest wanes quite easily when working on a project of such a scope.
56 > > > Rather than come up with these huge, elaborate plans, what needs to be done is
57 > > > baby steps need to be achieved. Take everything step by step.
58 > >
59 > > Portage wasn't written in a day. I understand your point about baby steps, but
60 > > how do you expect to get anywhere if you have no idea of where you're going?
61 >
62 > I'm still fairly new as a developer, but I have seen tons of great ideas
63 > brought up with much fever and passion behind it, only to watch it
64 > fizzle out and die a few weeks later once it runs out of everyone's
65 > minds. Having grand plans is great if you're planning on exploring
66 > Egypt. For a software project, the best course of action is to decide
67 > where you want to go and implement a plan.
68
69 I've seen that happen quite a bit as well. I don't really have any solution
70 other than find some way to keep it interesting so people will work on it.
71
72 I myself am guilty of this (there haven't been too many GLSAs with my name on
73 them recently :( ). If I find a solution to this I'll let everyone know. ;P
74
75 > > I don't know enough about how companies work, or how much it would take to get
76 > > the Portage tree into a "supportable" state. If this is the case, then perhaps
77 > > creating a separate for-profit company wouldn't be feasible, and the list of 3rd
78 > > party supporters is a better idea.
79 >
80 > It could be feasible, provided there was enough financial interest to
81 > understand that they would be losing their a** for the first couple
82 > years, seeing little to no returns on their investment. The portage
83 > tree isn't in a sad shape at all, but we rely on our ability to move to
84 > newer versions and technologies quickly to help us overcome problems
85 > such as security, rather than spending lots of developer time fixing
86 > things from upstream. I am not trying to belittle anyone's efforts,
87 > because everyone works so hard. What I mean is that sometimes (most
88 > times?) it is easier to upgrade from foo-1.0 to foo-1.1 than to fix
89 > foo-1.0's flaws. This doesn't jive well with corporate interests, which
90 > generally want as little change as possible.
91
92 My experience, at least with security bugs, has been that upstream developers in
93 general tend to keep maintenance releases and new feature releases separate.
94 Oftentimes there will be an upgrade to a package that contains only the security
95 fixes, and no other new code. Of course, this isn't true for all packages, but
96 it is true for most of the ones I've worked on.
97
98 Sometimes the security team will backport fixes (e.g. the rsync vulnerability
99 that came out not too long ago) because we don't want to push a later version
100 out for stability reasons. But again, that's just security, I don't know how
101 others handle it.
102
103 > > > We figured out where we wanted to go the last time this came up... and
104 > > > the time before that... and the time before that... and the....
105 > >
106 > > Where's the plan, then? Has anybody written up a coherent plan, broken the
107 > > tasks down into small steps, and posted it somewhere?
108 >
109 > Nobody ever got that far. Instead there was lots of "great ideas" and
110 > "let's do that" and then as soon as the thread died on -dev (or -core)
111 > it was out of everyone's minds.
112
113 There's the first problem. Nobody's even really explored the feasibility of
114 doing something like this ... what exactly--and by exactly, I mean right down to
115 the baby steps--would need to be done?
116
117 > > I certainly don't have a problem with a frozen tree; I think it's a good idea.
118 >
119 > Great! Should we bring it up at an upcoming manager's meeting?
120
121 Go for it. I'm not a manager but FWIW you have my moral support. :)
122
123 > > But I guess I'm not entirely sure how a frozen tree would help us here ... I
124 > > think we might be talking about two different things. I was talking mainly
125 > > about providing a way for large sites to painlessly configure/install/maintain
126 > > Gentoo on lots of machines.
127 >
128 > How do you install/maintain/configure a large number of machines when
129 > your base is ever changing?
130
131 You use your own internal-QA-approved Portage tree.
132
133 > Install a machine using the 2004.2 CD right
134 > now. Wait 2 hours, then install another machine. Are the package
135 > versions the same? Why not? If the versions are the same, then 5
136 > months from now someone can install from that CD and get the same
137 > results. Reproducible results are a necessity for companies planning
138 > for their infrastructure. It also makes things a lot easier to support
139 > when you know what to expect.
140
141 I agree, which is why I think frozen trees, or site-specific Portage trees are a
142 good idea.
143
144 > Honestly, I don't see the installer as a first step, but that is totally
145 > up for discussion. I tend to think that management tools would be a
146 > better place to focus, along with working to implement ideas that have
147 > already been proposed.
148
149 Well, the installer is a management tool of sorts.
150
151 But really, the first step is finding out what the first step is. ;)
152
153 > We should be able to have a complete binary
154 > install of Gentoo done using GRP in about 20-30 minutes, but it takes
155 > almost an hour due to the number of manual steps required, and compiling
156 > a kernel. There is a GLEP for the introduction of compiled kernels.
157 > Would that not be beneficial for an installer and an enterprise Gentoo?
158
159 Yes, it would, in the same way that frozen trees are good. I don't know how
160 feasible this would be, though ... how do you handle all the different hardware
161 configurations? We could very easily end up with bloated kernels a la the
162 binary distributions.
163
164 I think I would prefer that each site compile one kernel for each set of
165 machines it needs, and the compiled kernels get installed separately. I have no
166 idea how this would work, however. :)
167
168 > I definitely would love to see more work being done in making Gentoo
169 > easier to install and use in an enterprise.
170
171 So let's at least start a plan, and see where we can go from there.
172
174 Joshua J. Berry
175
176 "I haven't lost my mind -- it's backed up on tape somewhere."
177 -- /usr/games/fortune
178
179 NOTE: Please do not submit this email address to any mailing
180 lists or websites without prior permission. Thank you.