From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Enterprise Installer [was "LWE Aftermath" on -core]
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 23:46:41
1 On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 17:34, Joshua J. Berry wrote:
2 > No, I do mean a profile-ish thing ... install is just the first step in maintenance.
3 > Suppose you have a bunch of preinstalled workstations and you want to push out
4 > another app. How do you do it? Add it to the profile-ish thing.
5
6 So you mean something like Red Hat's channel subscriptions? Honestly,
7 they have a good idea. Have you ever played with their Satellite Server
8 product? It is essentially a local copy of RHN which also allows you to
9 create custom channels to subscribe systems to and also allows you to
10 easily manage your kickstart configurations for building new systems.
11
12 > > This isn't designed for the guy wanting a few machines, though he would
13 > > be able to utilize it. It would probably still be quicker than creating
14 > > a custom boot CD. Especially since if we were to create it, we would
15 > > make it simple for the user. It would probably end up no harder than
16 > > creating a catalyst .spec file to begin with, so why take the time to
17 > > make a CD out of it?
18 >
19 > The point I was trying to make is, we should--eventually--support both options.
20 > We don't need to do it immediately, of course, but it should be there.
21
22 I don't think I am following you. What is "the little guy" option? At
23 what point does it become easier to not use DHCP and PXE? Is it even
24 worth the effort to "deploy" on that number of machines, or are you
25 speaking more of a simple installer? The installer is within the scope
26 of the enterprise product. Nothing is stopping someone from using it,
27 even on a single machine.
28
29 > > Also, stick with scope here. Are we talking the guy with 10 machines or
30 > > are we talking the ENTERPRISE where we're considering hundreds or
31 > > thousands of machines. Having to go to each of a thousand machines with
32 > > a CD can be tedious.
33 >
34 > Enterprise, for now, which can eventually be scaled down to work with the guy
35 > who has 10 machines and want to use it at home.
36
37 There's nothing stopping the person with 10 machines from using the
38 product as intended. I don't think there's any need to "scale down" any
39 properly designed product. Instead, it should be usable on anything
40 from 2 machines (one server and one client) on up, to only a single
41 machine if only using the installer and none of the "kickstart" type of
42 deployment tools.
43
44 > The first is pretty much what I was suggesting.
45 >
46 > I realize this can be done now, but there should--eventually--be tools to make
47 > management of custom trees easier.
48
49 I'm not sure how much easier it can be that copying an ebuild, but I'm
50 with you. If you see a need and it is something that should be managed,
51 then by all means lets do it.
52
53 > > I'm not sure you understand the scale of such a project.
54 >
55 > I think I do. I explored this idea (on a more limited scope, of course) when I
56 > was working for Cal Poly's CSC dept last year.
57
58 Well, understand that Gentoo is very very big and very very diverse. We
59 extend from Argentina to Alaska and everywhere in between. Our users
60 speak every imaginable language and have any number of wants and
61 desires. We also provide an enormous amount of software via portage,
62 which needs to be managed.
63
64 > > Something like this would require an enormous dedication and a very
65 > > far-reaching plan. To be honest, even if you're just starting school, I
66 > > wouldn't expect to see this even at a remotely close to completed stage by the
67 > > time you graduate without some serious financial and manpower backing.
68 >
69 > I understand that. But if we don't start somewhere, such a project will never
70 > be completed.
71
72 I agree. I also think that it is a long and painful road and am simply
73 not rushing into anything with a fool's hope that it will be easy.
74
75 > > > If enough people are willing to work on this, we should start (yet) a(nother)
76 > > > project.
77 > >
78 > > Instead, what needs to be done rather than start yet another project
79 > > which will go dormant in 6 months, is to get everyone interested
80 > > involved, including any other projects that would be encompassed, such
81 > > as the installer guys, and actually put something together and stick
82 > > with it.
83 >
84 > How is this different from creating a project?
85
86 Creating a project does nothing but give something a name. We already
87 have a Gentoo Server project and a Gentoo Enterprise project, not to
88 mention at least one GLEP which all fall under the scope of creating a
89 corporate-friendly Gentoo.
90
91 > > The real problem is that these sort of things are pretty boring to bring
92 > > about. Interest wanes quite easily when working on a project of such a scope.
93 > > Rather than come up with these huge, elaborate plans, what needs to be done is
94 > > baby steps need to be achieved. Take everything step by step.
95 >
96 > Portage wasn't written in a day. I understand your point about baby steps, but
97 > how do you expect to get anywhere if you have no idea of where you're going?
98
99 I'm still fairly new as a developer, but I have seen tons of great ideas
100 brought up with much fever and passion behind it, only to watch it
101 fizzle out and die a few weeks later once it runs out of everyone's
102 minds. Having grand plans is great if you're planning on exploring
103 Egypt. For a software project, the best course of action is to decide
104 where you want to go and implement a plan.
105
106 I definitely don't have the answers here. I just see things that work
107 and like to point them out... *grin*
108
109 > > The main problem with doing this and PAYING people
110 > > to work on the system is the sheer amount of capital that would be
111 > > required to operate such a venture. I would guess that you would be
112 > > paying the entire staff for at least 2 years just to get to the point of
113 > > being able to offer a supportable product. After all, every single bit
114 > > of the supported tree would require developers to back port fixes.
115 >
116 > I don't know enough about how companies work, or how much it would take to get
117 > the Portage tree into a "supportable" state. If this is the case, then perhaps
118 > creating a separate for-profit company wouldn't be feasible, and the list of 3rd
119 > party supporters is a better idea.
120
121 It could be feasible, provided there was enough financial interest to
122 understand that they would be losing their a** for the first couple
123 years, seeing little to no returns on their investment. The portage
124 tree isn't in a sad shape at all, but we rely on our ability to move to
125 newer versions and technologies quickly to help us overcome problems
126 such as security, rather than spending lots of developer time fixing
127 things from upstream. I am not trying to belittle anyone's efforts,
128 because everyone works so hard. What I mean is that sometimes (most
129 times?) it is easier to upgrade from foo-1.0 to foo-1.1 than to fix
130 foo-1.0's flaws. This doesn't jive well with corporate interests, which
131 generally want as little change as possible.
132
133 > > We figured out where we wanted to go the last time this came up... and
134 > > the time before that... and the time before that... and the....
135 >
136 > Where's the plan, then? Has anybody written up a coherent plan, broken the
137 > tasks down into small steps, and posted it somewhere?
138
139 Nobody ever got that far. Instead there was lots of "great ideas" and
140 "let's do that" and then as soon as the thread died on -dev (or -core)
141 it was out of everyone's minds.
142
143 > I certainly don't have a problem with a frozen tree; I think it's a good idea.
144
145 Great! Should we bring it up at an upcoming manager's meeting?
146
147 > But I guess I'm not entirely sure how a frozen tree would help us here ... I
148 > think we might be talking about two different things. I was talking mainly
149 > about providing a way for large sites to painlessly configure/install/maintain
150 > Gentoo on lots of machines.
151
152 How do you install/maintain/configure a large number of machines when
153 your base is ever changing? Install a machine using the 2004.2 CD right
154 now. Wait 2 hours, then install another machine. Are the package
155 versions the same? Why not? If the versions are the same, then 5
156 months from now someone can install from that CD and get the same
157 results. Reproducible results are a necessity for companies planning
158 for their infrastructure. It also makes things a lot easier to support
159 when you know what to expect.
160
161 > > What would the installer *do* exactly? That is a VERY large step to
162 > > take... or at least I think so. Does the installer perform a stage1
163 > > install? stage3? GRP? GRP + more packages? Does it use the portage
164 > > snapshot each arch lead makes for his release?
165 >
166 > Well, it is a big step. We're not really ready to start doing that yet.
167 >
168 > Like you said, we need to take baby steps. Let's get/make a list of those for
169 > the installer.
170
171 Honestly, I don't see the installer as a first step, but that is totally
172 up for discussion. I tend to think that management tools would be a
173 better place to focus, along with working to implement ideas that have
174 already been proposed. We should be able to have a complete binary
175 install of Gentoo done using GRP in about 20-30 minutes, but it takes
176 almost an hour due to the number of manual steps required, and compiling
177 a kernel. There is a GLEP for the introduction of compiled kernels.
178 Would that not be beneficial for an installer and an enterprise Gentoo?
179
180 > > Wouldn't it be easier to do with a frozen -release tree? (In case you're
181 > > not getting it, I want a frozen tree... *grin*)
182 >
183 > OK, so let's make a frozen tree. But that doesn't have much to do with
184 > configuration/installation/maintenance of lots of machines. ;)
185
186 It doesn't really. It just lays a strong framework to build upon.
187
188 I don't have intentions for even starting a frozen tree by the next
189 release, but I would like to shoot for 2005.0, if we can get buy-in from
190 management and developers.
191
192 I definitely would love to see more work being done in making Gentoo
193 easier to install and use in an enterprise.
196 Chris Gianelloni
197 Release Engineering QA Manager/Games Developer
198 Gentoo Linux
199
200 Is your power animal a penguin?