From: "Joshua J. Berry" <condordes@g.o>
To: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Enterprise Installer [was "LWE Aftermath" on -core]
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 21:34:06
1 On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 05:05:12PM -0400, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 15:26, Joshua J. Berry wrote:
3 > > No, a profile a la Gentoo's Portage profile probably isn't ... I just used the
4 > > term "profile" to mean a specific set of installed packages and configuration
5 > > options (e.g. have a "mailserver" profile, a "webserver" profile and perhaps a
6 > > "workstation" profile).
7 >
8 > You mean something more of an installation type, rather than a "profile"
9 > then... Make sure we don't re-use terminology that could be ambiguous in
10 > meaning.
11
12 No, I do mean a profile-ish thing ... install is just the first step in maintenance.
13 Suppose you have a bunch of preinstalled workstations and you want to push out
14 another app. How do you do it? Add it to the profile-ish thing.
15
16 > I guess I am saying the process to create a LiveCD is a bit more
17 > involved than needed for most cases. Using a network boot method plus
18 > some scripts would be much quicker and cleaner. It also wouldn't
19 > require lugging around a CD, which means the CD must be kept up-to-date
20 > with changes and other such problems. Definitely not the best way for
21 > the enterprise to go about it.
22
23 You're right.
24
25 > This isn't designed for the guy wanting a few machines, though he would
26 > be able to utilize it. It would probably still be quicker than creating
27 > a custom boot CD. Especially since if we were to create it, we would
28 > make it simple for the user. It would probably end up no harder than
29 > creating a catalyst .spec file to begin with, so why take the time to
30 > make a CD out of it?
31
32 The point I was trying to make is, we should--eventually--support both options.
33 We don't need to do it immediately, of course, but it should be there.
34
35 > Also, stick with scope here. Are we talking the guy with 10 machines or
36 > are we talking the ENTERPRISE where we're considering hundreds or
37 > thousands of machines. Having to go to each of a thousand machines with
38 > a CD can be tedious.
39
40 Enterprise, for now, which can eventually be scaled down to work with the guy
41 who has 10 machines and want to use it at home.
42
43 > > Some admins may wish to perform their own QA on the Portage tree before pushing
44 > > things out to their userbase, or perhaps create custom ebuilds for proprietary
45 > > software they have purchased and want to run on Gentoo.
46 >
47 > What makes this different than one of several methods:
48 >
49 > - The admin runs his own rsync mirror with only his "QA certified"
50 > ebuilds in it.
51 > - The admin NFS mounts his "QA certified" portage tree.
52 > - The admin pushes out his "QA certified" portage tree as an overlay.
53 >
54 > Personally, I think the first is the best. Remember, the admin does not
55 > have to offer up *our* tree for rsync. If he decides to standardize on
56 > KDE and doesn't want anyone running games, he can rm -rf
57 > /usr/portage/gnome-* and /usr/portage/games-* and even add them to his
58 > RSYNC_EXCLUDES.
59
60 The first is pretty much what I was suggesting.
61
62 I realize this can be done now, but there should--eventually--be tools to make
63 management of custom trees easier.
64
65 > I'm not sure you understand the scale of such a project.
66
67 I think I do. I explored this idea (on a more limited scope, of course) when I
68 was working for Cal Poly's CSC dept last year.
69
70 > Something like this would require an enormous dedication and a very
71 > far-reaching plan. To be honest, even if you're just starting school, I
72 > wouldn't expect to see this even at a remotely close to completed stage by the
73 > time you graduate without some serious financial and manpower backing.
74
75 I understand that. But if we don't start somewhere, such a project will never
76 be completed.
77
78 > > If enough people are willing to work on this, we should start (yet) a(nother)
79 > > project.
80 >
81 > Instead, what needs to be done rather than start yet another project
82 > which will go dormant in 6 months, is to get everyone interested
83 > involved, including any other projects that would be encompassed, such
84 > as the installer guys, and actually put something together and stick
85 > with it.
86
87 How is this different from creating a project?
88
89 > The real problem is that these sort of things are pretty boring to bring
90 > about. Interest wanes quite easily when working on a project of such a scope.
91 > Rather than come up with these huge, elaborate plans, what needs to be done is
92 > baby steps need to be achieved. Take everything step by step.
93
94 Portage wasn't written in a day. I understand your point about baby steps, but
95 how do you expect to get anywhere if you have no idea of where you're going?
96
97 > > This means--and this has been brought up repeatedly before--there needs to be
98 > > some sort of for-profit company, separate from the non-profit, that has at least
99 > > a few full-time Gentoo devs on its staff. Or so it seems to me.
100 >
101 > Gentoo Linux is run by a not-for-profit company for a reason. We do not
102 > want corporate interests guiding us.
103 >
104 > What would need to be done, is a separate entity would need to be
105 > established. This entity could be owned by the Gentoo Foundation, or
106 > completely separate. It could be manned by Gentoo devs, or just users,
107 > it doesn't matter.
108
109 Yes. This is pretty much what I was suggesting.
110
111 > The main problem with doing this and PAYING people
112 > to work on the system is the sheer amount of capital that would be
113 > required to operate such a venture. I would guess that you would be
114 > paying the entire staff for at least 2 years just to get to the point of
115 > being able to offer a supportable product. After all, every single bit
116 > of the supported tree would require developers to back port fixes.
117
118 I don't know enough about how companies work, or how much it would take to get
119 the Portage tree into a "supportable" state. If this is the case, then perhaps
120 creating a separate for-profit company wouldn't be feasible, and the list of 3rd
121 party supporters is a better idea.
122
123 > > The first step is always to figure out where you want to go ... I think we're
124 > > doing that now. Then we just need to break the problem down into small pieces.
125 >
126 > We figured out where we wanted to go the last time this came up... and
127 > the time before that... and the time before that... and the....
128
129 Where's the plan, then? Has anybody written up a coherent plan, broken the
130 tasks down into small steps, and posted it somewhere?
131
132 > I've given a good starting point, a frozen tree. Since such a thing
133 > would require buy-in from -releng (not a problem), -infra and the mirror
134 > admins, and the management, it needs to be brought up at a manager's
135 > meeting and voted on, preferably with some idea of the additional mirror
136 > space and some initial feedback from all the parties involved.
137
138 I certainly don't have a problem with a frozen tree; I think it's a good idea.
139
140 But I guess I'm not entirely sure how a frozen tree would help us here ... I
141 think we might be talking about two different things. I was talking mainly
142 about providing a way for large sites to painlessly configure/install/maintain
143 Gentoo on lots of machines.
144
145 > > > > On a related note, avenj did mention the Installer project to me, and gave me a
146 > > > > link to their CVS, but it hasn't been touched in a few months. Anyone know what
147 > > > > their status is, and what specifically they're trying to accomplish?
148 > > >
149 > > > I believe their charter was to create a nice installer that could be
150 > > > used to install Gentoo in various fashion, using GRP as a base and
151 > > > allowing for rapid deployment of servers and workstations based on
152 > > > pre-defined criteria.
153 > >
154 > > That sounds like it's the first (big) step then. Let's get an installer
155 > > working.
156 >
157 > What would the installer *do* exactly? That is a VERY large step to
158 > take... or at least I think so. Does the installer perform a stage1
159 > install? stage3? GRP? GRP + more packages? Does it use the portage
160 > snapshot each arch lead makes for his release?
161
162 Well, it is a big step. We're not really ready to start doing that yet.
163
164 Like you said, we need to take baby steps. Let's get/make a list of those for
165 the installer.
166
167 > Wouldn't it be easier to do with a frozen -release tree? (In case you're
168 > not getting it, I want a frozen tree... *grin*)
169
170 OK, so let's make a frozen tree. But that doesn't have much to do with
171 configuration/installation/maintenance of lots of machines. ;)
172
174 Joshua J. Berry
175
176 "I haven't lost my mind -- it's backed up on tape somewhere."
177 -- /usr/games/fortune
178
179 NOTE: Please do not submit this email address to any mailing
180 lists or websites without prior permission. Thank you.