From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Enterprise Installer [was "LWE Aftermath" on -core]
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2004 11:18:10
1 On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 08:08:32PM -0400, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > Creating a project does nothing but give something a name. We already
3 > have a Gentoo Server project and a Gentoo Enterprise project, not to
4 > mention at least one GLEP which all fall under the scope of creating a
5 > corporate-friendly Gentoo.
6
7 These projects are good examples of "baby step" evolution. Good ideas but
8 little resources provide no succes. If Gentoo wants to become a major market
9 player, we should focus on our current projects and make those of high
10 quality.
11
12 Why would we be able to become a major player if we can't keep some of our
13 current projects alive? I'm talking about a minority of projects here, most
14 of our projects are very vivid and provide good quality. But, for some
15 reason, those projects that I am talking about have to do with the road we
16 are talking about here.
17
18 > > I certainly don't have a problem with a frozen tree; I think it's a good idea.
19 > Great! Should we bring it up at an upcoming manager's meeting?
20
21 If I'm not mistaken it has already been brought up. The issue then was that
22 we didn't have enough resources to maintain the frozen tree. If you believe
23 this has changed, please do so.
24
25 But remember that, if you bring this up without a decent plan, the meeting
26 will probably tell you to write up a plan. Don't expect the manager meeting
27 to discuss and provide one for you. A short discussion (1 ~ 2 hours) is far
28 too little to mention every possible aspect.
29
30 Wkr,
31 Sven Vermeulen
35 Bent Hindrup Andersen, Danish MEP, about the Software Patent Directive:
36 The approach of the Commission and Council in this directive is shocking.
37 They are making full use of all the possibilities of evading democracy that
38 the current Community Law provides. <http://lwn.net/Articles/84009/>