From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Removal of articles.xml from website
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 07:13:50
1 Sven Vermeulen posted <20050610122849.GA12754@g.o>, excerpted
2 below, on Fri, 10 Jun 2005 14:28:49 +0200:
3
4 > In the mail [Daniel Robbins] states that we can republish his articles
5 > on Gentoo as long as we put the following note in each document:
6 >
7 > """
8 > The original version of this article was first published on IBM
9 > developerWorks, and is property of Westtech Information Services. This
10 > document is an updated version of the original article, and contains
11 > various improvements made by the Gentoo Linux documentation team. """
12 >
13 > So for Daniel's articles, this is no issue. However, we do need explicit
14 > approval for the other articles by the authors.
15 >
16 > I propose to start GuideXML'ifying Daniel's articles. I'll leave the
17 > details on the gentoo-doc mailinglist. If anyone sees his or her name on
18 > the articles page as being one of the other authors, mind contacting me
19 > with the approval (or disapproval) of republishing the articles (with or
20 > without modifications)?
21
22 Having my post in the upline as being opposed to the original solution,
23 thus having some right to an opinion here...
24
25 I like this idea very much, and would find it highly appropriate for
26 Daniel's work, the filesystems article, for instance, both because it's
27 still very useful and informative (with updates adding the
28 writeback/ordered/data options for reiserfs, and the like, obviously), and
29 because IMO it's fitting honor for the author, who after all gave so much
30 to what Gentoo is today. The previous possibility of being seen as hiding
31 and being ashamed of his contributions (tho there were other reasons, so
32 hopefully, that's all it was, the appearance of...), removing mention of
33 them and him from the website, is gone. Instead, we're bringing it
34 in-house, where we can maintain it and ensure permanent access to it.
35
36 Not that he's GOD or anything. Far from it! <g> Just, there's some
37 history there that I believe retains some serious value, in addition to
38 the purely practical still very good usefulness of the work itself, of
39 course.
44 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
45 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
49 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list