From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Removal of articles.xml from website
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 10:27:18
1 On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 11:39:57AM +0200, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2 > I know from Daniel that DW takes the exclusive rights to publish the
3 > articles for the first X months (I believe it was 6 months, but don't take
4 > my word on it). We are allowed to republish those articles later (as we've
5 > done with for instance an article about CVS), even in the form of a GuideXML
6 > document.
7 [...]
8
9 Okay, just to be certain I dug up an old mail from Daniel explaining the IBM
10 work.
11
12 Apparently, they are:
13 - written as work for hire
14 - property of Tenco Media Corporation or Westtech Information Services
15 - Daniel is however allowed to republish them as he sees fit after 6-9
16 months with no restrictions except clearly mentioning that the articles
17 are property of beforementioned.
18
19 In the mail he states that we can republish his articles on Gentoo as long
20 as we put the following note in each document:
21
22 """
23 The original version of this article was first published on IBM
24 developerWorks, and is property of Westtech Information Services. This
25 document is an updated version of the original article, and contains
26 various improvements made by the Gentoo Linux documentation team.
27 """
28
29 So for Daniel's articles, this is no issue. However, we do need explicit
30 approval for the other articles by the authors.
31
32 I propose to start GuideXML'ifying Daniel's articles. I'll leave the details
33 on the gentoo-doc mailinglist. If anyone sees his or her name on the
34 articles page as being one of the other authors, mind contacting me with the
35 approval (or disapproval) of republishing the articles (with or without
36 modifications)?
37
38 Wkr,
39 Sven Vermeulen
42 Documentation project leader - Gentoo Foundation Trustee
43
44 The Gentoo Project <<< http://www.gentoo.org >>>