From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Unmasking modular X
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 09:13:28
1 Jason Stubbs wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 25 January 2006 17:43, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 >> Jason Stubbs wrote:
4 >>> I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "broken" in the first paragraph nor
5 >>> how a check can help with unmaintained (=no commits, no?) packages, but if
6 >>> a repoman check will hasten package porting while smoothing the users'
7 >>> ride, I'm personally all for it.
8 >> By "broken" I mean unported. In other words, directly depending on
9 >> either virtual/x11 or x11-base/xorg-x11. The check will help discover
10 >> unmaintained packages by not allowing people to do flyby fixes without
11 >> also fixing this.
12 >>
13 >> What can I do to speed up the process of getting this into a 2.1
14 >> release? Keep in mind my python is beyond bad.
15 >
16 > Perhaps not so easy. What specific states need to be checked for to regard a
17 > package as broken? Depending on "x11-base/xorg-x11" is one. Depending on
18 > "virtual/x11" seems to be valid looking at the porting guide though. Would
19 > considering a package broken if it contains "virtual/x11" where the token
20 > immediately preceding the surrounding brackets is not "||" be correct?
21 >
22 > DEPEND="x11-base/xorg-x11" # wrong
23 > DEPEND="virtual/x11" # wrong
24 > DEPEND="|| ( x11? ( virtual/x11 ) )" # wrong
25 > DEPEND="|| ( misc/atoms virtual/x11 )" # right
26 >
27 > There's a small possibility that broken packages will be missed by this, but
28 > is there any chance that valid packages will be incorrectly flagged? If this
29 > gets a go-ahead, it'll be easy enough to get in for the next release (which
30 > is likely this coming Saturday).
31
32 It sounds right. There should be no valid instance of virtual/x11 that
33 is not within an || dep.
34
35 Thanks,
36 Donnie