From: Armando Di Cianno <fafhrd@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: removing dhcpcd from system???
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 02:08:13
1 On 2004-09-30 20:12:07 -0400 Athul Acharya <aacharya@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Now perhaps it may be prudent to suggest that a line about emerging
3 > dhcpcd go in the installation guides alongside the section about
4 > installing syslog etc. But there remains no reason for it to be in the
5 > system profile.
6
7 Yes, this would be quite prudent.
8
9 However, let me offer another way of looking at this. Gentoo is a
10 OS/"metadistribution" of Linux, as well as the name that encompasses
11 its tools (portage; Gentoo on MacOSX, etc etc). On systems where, for
12 most intents and purposes, Gentoo is the OS (i.e. running on top of
13 Linux, Hurd, whatever), Gentoo should make all attempts to be a usable
14 OS _by default_.
15
16 When a users goes through the handbook, and install, Gentoo, maybe a
17 note about DHCP support should be in there, but more to the point,
18 maybe an entire page or section should be placed before the USE flags
19 page, that describes the extent a user could conceivably alter the
20 default layout.
21
22 Now, the default layout cannot, imho, be solely "additive" in
23 features. If this where the case, we need to remove /bin/login (in
24 pam-login), and all /sbin/agetty (in util-linux), as I may be building
25 for a completly headless server, or something like that.
26
27 It's reasonable to say "Well, a user can simply emerge dhcpcd", but it
28 is as reasonable to say "a user can simply remove dhcpd from _their_
29 profile".
30
31 If a normal Gentoo/Linux install is going to be usable it _has_ to
32 contain "normal" OS tools. DHCP, even if you do not use it, is one of
33 these tools. Many, many people use this. Same with /sbin/ifconfig
34 itself (in net-tools) -- a user may not have a network connection _at
35 all_.
36
37 This phenomenon is especially evident in make.defaults, in any
38 profile. Any one of us could name tens of use flags he or she turns
39 off in their own default profile, I'm sure. The point is:
40 they're_defaults_. They work for a great number of what people want,
41 so they're in there. If you are not one of those people, then follow
42 this methodology:
43
44 if(feature_i_want->isDefault())
45 echo "yay";
46 else
47 feature_i_want->addToSystem();
48
49 if(feature_i_dislike->isDefault())
50 echo "boooooo"
51 feature_i_dislike->removeFromSystem();
52 else
53 echo "yay";
54
55 The "system" here should be the supported default layout, any arch,
56 any anything, that reasonably supports the greatest numbers of users /
57 causes us the least headaches down the road when people complain about
58 missing features. The person who has to remove dhcpcd from their
59 default layout is less likely to have something important to complain
60 about than the person who cannot emerge dhcpcd because they have no
61 dhcp client to connect to a network with!
62
63 If Gentoo was a plant, it's simply one you should prune _and_ feed.
64 This should not be a concept that is difficult to understand.
65
66 __Armando
67 P.S. **sheesh**
71 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list