From: Athul Acharya <aacharya@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: removing dhcpcd from system???
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 00:12:09
1 Jason Rhinelander <jason@××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > If I don't have dhcpcd I may well not be able
3 > to emerge it due to the lack of networking capability.
4
5 Allow me to quote Tom Payne at you:
6 > The system profile is /not/ the same as what's on the installation CD.
7 [...]
8 > ... [dhcpcd]'ll still be on the installation CD so you can install over your
9 broadband connection.
10
11 So you __will__ be able to emerge it when installing. (!!)
12
13 Now, if you do need dhcp, and you forget to emerge it while installing
14 before you reboot, and you find yourself on a box without a network
15 connection, I believe the technical term for that is "screwing up" !
16 And in such an instance, the thing to do is reboot to the liveCD, use
17 dhcpcd to get an ip, set the chroot back up, and emerge dhcpcd. And,
18 mind you, this is only if you screwed up, otherwise you just emerged
19 dhcpcd/dhclient/etc along with syslog and cron and you're all set.
20
21 Now perhaps it may be prudent to suggest that a line about emerging
22 dhcpcd go in the installation guides alongside the section about
23 installing syslog etc. But there remains no reason for it to be in the
24 system profile.
25
26 Athul
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list