From: Jason Rhinelander <jason@××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: removing dhcpcd from system???
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 23:51:22
1 There is one important difference between dhcpcd being in system and a
2 syslogger being in system - if I don't have syslog-xyz, I can emerge it
3 after I reboot my system; if I don't have dhcpcd I may well not be able
4 to emerge it due to the lack of networking capability.
5
6 If the stance that 'system' is only the things *absolutely* required for
7 *every* Gentoo installations, the following, at least, also need to be
8 removed (this is from profiles/base/packages):
9
10 app-arch/cpio # Why is this required? Portage?
11 sys-apps/ed # I don't want it
12 sys-apps/file # I use this, but some people might not
13 sys-apps/findutils # Perhaps I prefer to use find2perl instead
14 sys-apps/kbd # I don't want or need this
15 sys-apps/man-pages # I may not want man pages
16 sys-apps/setserial # I haven't used a serial port in years
17 sys-apps/which # Nice, but is it necessary?
18 sys-devel/bc # Again, nice, but not necessary
19 sys-fs/e2fsprogs # I don't use ext2/3
20 virtual/ssh # It's possible that not every Gentoo user needs ssh
21
22 Before you ask, I'm *not* serious about removing the above. The point
23 is, most of the above is required for most reasonable linux
24 installation. Likewise, a DHCP client is required for a very large
25 group of Gentoo users, since updating Gentoo requires internet access.
26 Yes, there are exceptions - such as the guy in this thread who showed us
27 how stupid we all are to actually use DHCP clients on DHCP networks
28 instead of grabbing random IP's until we find one that works - but if it
29 is really such a concern, wouldn't it be sufficient to add a 'dhcp' USE
30 flag to baselayout? If set, it could simply add virtual/dhcp-client to
31 RDEPEND. That way, those few who really don't want a DHCP client can
32 USE=-dhcp and be done with it, and the rest of us don't have to worry
33 about it.
34
35 -- Jason Rhinelander
36 -- Gossamer Threads, Inc.
37
38 Tom Payne wrote:
39 > Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious, but I get the impression that the
40 > there's a misunderstanding here which seems to be the causing the
41 > disagreement.
42 >
43 > The system profile is /not/ the same as what's on the installation CD.
44 >
45 > The system profile is the "minimum" Gentoo system -- just the bare bones
46 > (init scripts, glibc, gcc, portage, that sort of thing).
47 >
48 > The installation CD includes the system profile and lots of useful other
49 > things, like a web browser (links).
50 >
51 > This means that if dhcpc is not in the system profile:
52 > 1) it'll still be on the installation CD so you can install over your
53 > broadband connection, and
54 > 2) if you need it then you'll have to emerge manually (much like you already
55 > have to emerge a system logger and a crond if you want them).
56 >
57 > You do not need dhcp to run a minimum Gentoo system so it can be safely
58 > removed from the system profile.
62 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list