From: Tom Payne <twp@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: removing dhcpcd from system???
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 22:57:23
1 Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious, but I get the impression that the
2 there's a misunderstanding here which seems to be the causing the
3 disagreement.
4
5 The system profile is /not/ the same as what's on the installation CD.
6
7 The system profile is the "minimum" Gentoo system -- just the bare bones
8 (init scripts, glibc, gcc, portage, that sort of thing).
9
10 The installation CD includes the system profile and lots of useful other
11 things, like a web browser (links).
12
13 This means that if dhcpc is not in the system profile:
14 1) it'll still be on the installation CD so you can install over your
15 broadband connection, and
16 2) if you need it then you'll have to emerge manually (much like you already
17 have to emerge a system logger and a crond if you want them).
18
19 You do not need dhcp to run a minimum Gentoo system so it can be safely
20 removed from the system profile.
23 Tom
26 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list